Friday, March 9, 2007

The Twin Dilemma XV

28. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

Fabian has reentered the room. He has been talking to Drak for a while. Sylvest is still holding his head in his hands and Noma is staring miserably into space.

FABIAN
...and so once we’ve distributed rations, we can start some terraforming on your continents. It won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick. But I can do what’s needed faster and safer if I had some of your people to help me.

DRAK
I.. I’d be... honoured...

FABIAN
No doubt but you’re still ill. You need time to recover, and that’s time I don’t have. Do you know where any of your people could be, ideally those not possessed by Mestor, friendly to strangers and not on the point of collapse?

Azmael leaves the TARDIS.

AZMAEL
Noma should be recovered by now.

Having no history with Noma, Fabian turns briskly to face the dejected Jocondan.

FABIAN
Well?

NOMA
What?

FABIAN
I need your help.

NOMA
My people will not trust me. They might kill me.

FABIAN
I don’t need them to trust you, I need me to trust you. Are you trustworthy?

NOMA
I never wavered in my loyalty to Lord Mestor. I was certain he would never abandon us. But he did. And Azmael never did, and I always thought he would. My judgement is not good.

AZMAEL
Everyone makes mistakes, Noma. Will you follow me?

NOMA
I don’t know. Will you abandon us?

AZMAEL
Not of my free will. Now go and help the General. For me. For Imon. For yourself.

Noma’s face hardens and he rises.

NOMA
Very well. Come. We must head for the hydroponics dome, that is where the people will have gone. You can address them, prepare them for when the fleet lands.

FABIAN
Good man. Let’s move.

He and Noma head for the exit and leave. Azmael turns to Drak.

AZMAEL
How are you feeling?

DRAK
A little better.

AZMAEL
You haven’t suffered mental domination before, nor had his essence ripped violently ripped out of your mind. Nasty, isn’t it? But it will pass. You’ll recover soon.

Azmael turns and heads for the door.

DRAK
Where are you going?

AZMAEL
To find out if the Doctor is dead yet.

DRAK
And Mestor?

AZMAEL
If he’s still alive, I’ll kill him.

Drak struggles to rise.

DRAK
I’ll go with you.

AZMAEL
Please, Drak, stay here.

DRAK
Master Azmael...

AZMAEL
DRAK! I’m a Time Lord! I’m sick of grovelling so just STAY HERE!

Azmael storms out. Drak tries to move, but slumps back, exhausted.


29. MODEL SHOT

A view of the palace-cum-citadel in all its glory.


30. INT. PALACE CORRIDORS (DAY)

The Doctor approaches the corridor leading to the throne room. He pauses, worry written across his face.

DOCTOR
It ends here. In confusion on a forgotten planet. But it might still be victory. I let events take over last time. Let the universe drag me down and kill me. I can’t stop the latter but I can the former.

Suddenly relaxed and confident again, he strides onwards. The Minister steps out of the shadows, looking pale and unwell. He watches the Time Lord silently.


31. INT. PALACE THRONE ROOM (DAY)

The Doctor strides into the throne room, hands in his pockets, unimpressed and unintimidated. Mestor sits on his throne, antennae waving furiously, and seems not to notice the Doctor striding towards him.

DOCTOR
Ah. There you are. I’ve been looking for you. And now I’m here.

No reaction.

DOCTOR
Long walk and, to be honest, the sight of you wasn’t worth it.

No reaction.

DOCTOR
I’ve worked out what you’re up to. And it stops now.

MESTOR
Control your arrogance, Time Lord.

DOCTOR
Arrogance? I’m not the one trying to turn myself into the psychic equivalent of the Phobon plague, or consider myself qualified to take over the entire universe! If there’s anyone being arrogant, it’s you, you ichthyophagous parasite!

MESTOR
You are merely egocentric, willful and quite, quite mad.

DOCTOR
Takes one to know one. And you are the one sitting in a stolen throne room in a ransacked palace with the entire population of this planet and the largest war fleet ever assembled outside an Olympics opening ceremony out for your blood. You are not in the position to make threats. You never were.

Silence. The Doctor’s getting angry now. He advances towards the throne.

DOCTOR
Are you listening to me, Mestor? BECAUSE YOU BETTER BE! Because I am not having your sluggy consciousness spread all over the place, causing havoc. Do you understand that you pretentious invertibrate?
MESTOR
Be silent.

Annoyed, the Doctor points an accusing finger at the Gravis monster.

DOCTOR
Watch it, Mestor.

MESTOR
It seems that you are not only mad but a buffoon as well.

DOCTOR
You’d be amazed how little your opinion means to me, Mestor.

MESTOR
I assumed that you would be an interesting specimen, Doctor. A true renegade of the Time Lords, unlike that pathetic old fool Azmael. But like so many humanoid life forms, you are totally preoccupied with your own pettiness.

The Doctor gives a scary grin. He’s right in front of the monster now.

DOCTOR
I know you are – but what am I?

A troubled note enters the sillibant voice.

MESTOR
I warn you...

DOCTOR
No, I’M the one doing the warning. Now, are you going to accept the game is up?

MESTOR
Never.

The Doctor turns away from Mestor and strides away from the throne.

DOCTOR
Then take the consequences of your actions.

At the last second he spins on the spot and hurls the flask at Mestor. Instantly, Mestor’s antennae waggle and the flask (bathed in purple) is slammed straight down to the floor. It smashes into a seething, smoking mass. The Doctor double takes.

MESTOR
You forget my heritage, Doctor. You really are insane.

DOCTOR
Worse, I’m a rotten shot. And I used to be brilliant at cricket...

He turns around in exasperation. The Minister stands before him, gun raised.

DOCTOR
Ah, so that’s where you got to.

MINISTER/MESTOR
Yes, Doctor. Now stay still or I will blast a hole through both your hearts.


32. MODEL SHOT

The first of the ships descends through the atmosphere, its whining engines rumbling loudly as it approaches the wastelands.


33. INT. PALACE THRONE ROOM (DAY)

The noise can be heard here.

DOCTOR
There is the first warship coming into land. Reality’s knocking at the door and you will have to answer it sooner or later.

MESTOR
They cannot reach me.

DOCTOR
Can’t they?

MESTOR
You will allow me safe passage off this planet.

DOCTOR
Will I? I’m supposed to single-handedly hold back all the Jocondans whose lives you’ve destroyed? And the armed forces of Mars and Draconia? Not to mention Lieutenant Lang whose been dying to kill the person responsible for wiping out his comrades and that was you, in case you’d forgotten. Humanity’s thirst for revenge is occasionally quenchable, but I don’t think you’ve got the knack.

MESTOR
This is irrelevant.

DOCTOR
Is it? You’ve released all of Joconda. You might take it back but there will be far too much resistance and even if you did succeed, you can’t control them AND the army. You need to map out each individuals’ neural pathways before you do anything other than give them a headache. You’ve lost.

MESTOR
And you have forfeited your own existence.

DOCTOR
Oh? Thought we’d come to that. Don’t tell me. One last act, eh? Take your enemy with you, is it? How do you intend to do it? Crush me with gravity? Cause an embolism in every cell? My blood will bubble like a thousand streams? I’ll beg to die and in doing so beg your indulgence and forgiveness? Is that it?

MESTOR
Not quite.

DOCTOR
Good. Because in my time I have been threatened by experts – Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, BBC producers, James Burke, he was nasty... I don’t rate you highly at all.

MESTOR
So why do you fear me?

DOCTOR
Because I’m not as stupid as I look. I know what you’re capable of. You’ll never conquer the universe but you’re ready willing and able to snuff me out like a candle. But if it’s a choice between me and the universe, well, I’ve had a good life, Mestor I can’t complain. I’d have liked this body to last a bit longer, but I don’t feel cheated.

Mestor waves its tendrils. It turns blue slightly.


34. EXT. WASTELANDS (DAY)

The TARDIS sits in the quarry.


35. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (DAY)

The Chamberlain and the guards are present. The Chamberlain is wandering around the console, running her hands over it.

CHAMBERLAIN
More intricate than Azmael’s ship. But we must be able to get it working soon...

The guards convulse and cry out, collapsing.

CHAMBERLAIN
No! Master, please! Don’t go!

The nearest guard groans and starts to rise.

GUARD 1
What’s... what’s going...

The Chamberlain stares at him in horror.

CHAMBERLAIN
Get out! Get out now! Go on!

She grabs him and throws him out the doors, then turns to the other guard and bundles him to the exit. The guard resists.

GUARD 2
Hey... Slarn! You traitor!

The Chamberlain, fueled by terror, flings him into the darkness, turns and dives on the door control. The doors swing shut as the furious guard tries to re enter. The Chamberlain sinks to the floor, panting with fear.


36. INT. PALACE THRONE ROOM (DAY)

As before. More blue light seeps out of the Minister, joining the blob. The Minister falls to his knees, eyes rolling up in his skull. The blue glow fades from Mestor.

MESTOR
I am now complete.

DOCTOR
Are congratulations in order?

MESTOR
You will cease to exist.

DOCTOR
You said.

MESTOR
But you will not die. I tire of the disadvantages of this being.

DOCTOR
I don’t blame you.

MESTOR
And my mental exercise on this planet means I am no longer bound to this form. I will take yours, Doctor. And while the mobs are tearing this form to pieces I shall return to your TARDIS and start again, elsewhere. When this has been forgotten and no one will know my agenda and or try to oppose it. And you won’t be able to stop me.

DOCTOR
Oh, I wouldn’t count on that, Mestor. You might be able to kill me but inhabit my body? No no. It’s still too fresh off the rack. Try it and my body will shrug you off with ease. Failing that I’ll regenerate again. And if you aren’t cast out in the flux you’ll find out the hard way what happened to poor Verne the Beautiful.

MESTOR
As you said, Doctor: ‘I’m game. Let’s see who rusts first.’

The Doctor is starting to look worried.

DOCTOR
Surely you can find someone better? Someone young, strong, fit of limb, confident, energy boundless, highly motivated. Why me? Look at me! I’m old, lacking in vigour, mind in a tourmail – I no longer know if I’m coming, have gone or even BEEN! I’m falling to pieces and I no longer even have a fashion sense!

He grins evilly.

DOCTOR
But then giant slugs like you aren’t particularly bright, are you. Do your worst!

MESTOR
Oh, I shall!

The monster glows bright blue and a finger of concentrated energy shoots out and impales the Doctor. He lets out a strangled cry, doubling over and forced to the floor. A small black shape shuffles through the finger towards the writhing Time Lord. Mestor’s voice booms from all directions at once.

MESTOR (VO)
YOU ARE NOW MY SLAVE, DOCTOR. YOUR BODY IS MINE AND YOUR MIND IS GONE!

Azmael enters the chamber. The black blob has almost reach the Time Lord.

MESTOR (VO)
AZMAEL?!?

AZMAEL
You were expecting someone else?

Azmael hurls the flask straight at the Tractator body.

MESTOR (VO)
NO, NOOOO!

The flask shatters. Smoke coils up in increasing quantities from the stomach of the beast, which begins to sag and fold in, shrivelling up. The oversized brain ruptures with green sand as the body decays further. The finger of light splinters and coalesces around the black blob.

MESTOR (VO)
AZ... MAELL...

AZMAEL
I never make a promise I can’t keep, Mestor.

MESTOR (VO)
NIETHER... DO... ...I...

The blob and the green light skewers Azmael. He doesn’t have time to scream. The Doctor rolls over, exhausted and confused. The Minister is not much better. The green glow leaves Azmael and he immediately relaxes.

AZMAEL
There. Time to start again.

DOCTOR
Shoot him, Minister...

MINISTER
W-what?

DOCTOR
Quickly!

AZMAEL
You think that can stop me now, Doctor? Pathetic...

The Doctor looks on with obvious fear as Azmael approaches him, grinning broadly. Shivering and feverish, the Minister aims his gun. His voice, however, is light and clam.

MINISTER
Mestor?

Azmael turns. The Minister fires three times. Blackened scorches appear on his robe, flinging Azmael against the now-empty throne where he bounces and collapses onto the floor. He tries to get up but the Minister fires again. Azmael collapses, struggling to speak. Mestor’s voice emerges from his mouth.

MESTOR (VO)
NO... NO... I WILL NOT... NOT...

The Doctor crosses over to him.

DOCTOR
Operating a Time Lord body is very complicated Mestor. Operating a mortally wounded one is even harder – especially when you have to prevent regeneration if you want to live.

MESTOR (VO)
I... WILL... NOT...

DOCTOR
And you’ve dug in too deeply to climb out.

Agony crosses Azmael’s face.

MESTOR (VO)
YOU... WERE... LUCKY, TIME... LORD...

DOCTOR
I know. Very lucky.

Azmael sags, weakened. He doesn’t look at all well. He smiles weakly.

AZMAEL
I always said... I was up to this... Doctor.

The Doctor smiles sadly and kneels beside him.

DOCTOR
Of course. Anyone can save the universe, but only you could do it with style.


37. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

Still looking queasy, Drak stumbles to the door, opens it, and staggers through.


38. EXT. WASTELANDS (DAY)

Peri and Hugo appear over the hill, trudging towards the TARDIS. The two guards are banging on the police box doors angrilly.

PERI
Well, don’t you feel better about yourself now?

HUGO
I feel tired and sore.

PERI
So, what do you plan to do now? Take credit for the whole scheme and go back to Earth to be famous and rich and safe?

HUGO
No.

PERI
Oh, are you growing as a person?

HUGO
No, it’s just Fabian will take all the credit, cunning old fox. What’s that?

They notice the guards angrilly bashing the police box and run over.

PERI
Hey what are you doing?

GUARD 2
The traitor won’t let us in!

HUGO
What traitor?

GUARD 1
The Chamberlain, Slarn!

HUGO
The Doctor was right.

PERI
Oh, he’s always right. But we can’t leave her inside, she might take off or something.

HUGO
Can you get us inside this thing?

PERI
I’ve got a key... But, Lieutenant, you go.

HUGO
Me?

PERI
The Doctor said you should deal with her. She’ll be expecting a Jocondan, not a human, and definitely not expecting you to have a key.

She takes the key and unlocks the door. Hugo swallows and cautiously enters, drawing his gun. Peri turns to talk to the guards but they are now paying attention to the sight of Noma and Fabian striding into view, followed by a group of armed TROOPERS (ala the ones from episode one).


39. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (DAY)

The doors purr open. Hugo enters, gun raised. He twirls on the spot, covering the room. No sign of anyone. He creeps towards the console and we see, hiding in the space between the door and the wall column is the Chamberlain. She begins to stealthily creep around the door to the exit when Hugo spins around and this time he spots her.

HUGO
Hold it!

The Chamberlain raises her hands and turns to face Hugo with a winning smile.

HUGO
Well, well, well...


40. INT. PALACE THRONE ROOM (DAY)

The Doctor cradles the dying Azmael, who is bleeding from the mouth and very pale. He is shivering as if cold.

DOCTOR
You must have known Mestor would try that.

AZMAEL
You never took my telepathy lessons seriously... did you? I’m old but... I’m also stable... I thought that if he put his mind into mine... it would be... like a pebble... drowning in a lake... But I was the pebble in HIS lake...

DOCTOR
There might have been another way.

AZMAEL
Sometimes... there isn’t, Doctor... That’s a lesson we’ve both learnt to our cost.

DOCTOR
You didn’t need to throw your life away.

AZMAEL
It was nearly over... Been away from Gallifrey so long... no artron energy left... lindos probably ran out years ago... But I was hoping to... live as long as my wife did... Couldn’t... even... get that right...

Drak enters, sees Azmael and rushes to him. The Minister whirls to confront him and then, with a sickened look, throws the gun to the floor and stumbles out, head bowed. Drak approaches the two Time Lords. Azmael is fading fast.

AZMAEL
You managed what I couldn’t, Doctor... I’ve been to three planets since I left home... and I couldn’t save a single one... But I dare say, you... were looking after all the rest...

The Doctor shrugs bashfully and mimes ‘a little’ with his thumb and forefinger.

AZMAEL
My only regeret was leaving Gallifrey when it needed me most...

DOCTOR
You may have done some good. If you hadn’t, none of us would have even thought to leave.

AZMAEL
To become a renegade is to give up one’s roots... and I did... Drak? I preferred this paradise, Joconda... but I did try my best for the planet...

DRAK
Of course you did. We all know that.

AZMAEL
It certainly gave me a good life... Many great moments... I don’t regret... a thing...

DOCTOR
Then you’re doing better than I am.

AZMAEL
Had... to happen... sooner... or later...

DOCTOR
What?

AZMAEL
Out...shining... my pupils... Only took... six hundred... years to do...

He smiles, his eyes going glassy as life finally leaves him.

MESTOR (VO)
NO... NO, IT CAN’T END LIKE THIS... I WON’T... I can’t... no...

The black, amorphous shape forms over Azmael’s body for a moment and then dwindles away. In the distance, we can hear Mestor give one final scream. Gently, the Doctor lays Azmael down and drapes the cloak to cover his face.

DRAK
Is Mestor dead?

The Doctor nods, distant.

DOCTOR
They both are. Oh, Azmael, I shall miss you. I shall miss you indeed. The second time I never got to say goodbye.

He gets to his feet and dusts himself down. He looks tired for the first time.

DOCTOR
He walked by himself and all times were alike to him, as they say, Drak. And it’s time that I was off.

DRAK
Goodbye, Doctor. Do you think Joconda can be saved?

DOCTOR
If it’s still got a chance, I know you won’t waste it. You’re perfectly capable of looking after yourselves. You don’t need some passing alien to be your Master any more.

Drak takes a deep breath.

DRAK
No. No despot will get this throne again. That will be how we remember Azmael. And you too, Doctor... Doctor?

Drak looks around. The Doctor has slipped away. Drak looks around, confused.

DRAK
Doctor?


41. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

Sylvest is staring miserably into space. The door slides back and the Doctor enters, grim faced and slow.

DOCTOR
I learned something today. Spending your life alone is very overrated.

The Doctor crosses to the TARDIS.

DOCTOR
Poor thing. Battered, ancient and bowed. And now it’s owner’s dead. They do get so attached. If it was working it probably would have taken off by now. Grieved for a few millennia, and headed off to the elephant’s graveyard of broken time machines. I suppose mine will head there. One day. But not today.

Suddenly decisive, he rips out the cable and the door closes.

DOCTOR
Much as I trust the Jocondans, we don’t need even defunct Time Lord technology lying around. I suppose she’ll sit here, gathering dust until she’s repaired herself enough to leave. The question is, Archie Sylvest, will you be here when that happens?

SYLVEST
Why bother? What have I got left?

DOCTOR
Well, your highly inaccurate best seller is still on the shelves. And there are still plenty of Voxnic bars for you to frequent. And you can write your true biography... from memory it’s rather good. What more do you need?

Sylvest indicates the skeletons.

DOCTOR
Yes. I know the feeling. It’s never fun being left alone.

SYLVEST
I only knew them for a few weeks. I don’t know how I’ll cope any more.

DOCTOR
Archie, you...

A small, crackling burst of static noise.

SYLVEST
What was that?

Another noise. And another, slightly different.

DOCTOR
It’s coming from the Time Shifter.

The Doctor and Sylvest cross to the main tube. Suddenly wired, Sylvest starts heaving at the nearest hatch containing the skull of Romulus.

SYLVEST
Oh... please. Yes!

DOCTOR
What? What is it?

SYLVEST
Neural blowback stabilizes the neural pathways! Boys! Romulus! Remus!

The static crackling increases. The Doctor effortlessly flips open the hatch. The skull is buzzing loudly. We can now just make out the words.

ROMULUS (DIST)
Fa-ther... can’t see... father!

SYLVEST
I’m here, Romulus! Don’t worry, you’re safe!

ROMULUS (DIST)
Safe... What about... Remus?

The Doctor opens the other hatch.

DOCTOR
In pretty much the same state, Romulus. Wouldn’t you say?

REMUS (DIST)
Head... hurts... what happened?

SYLVEST
An accident, Remus, but you’re going to be all right! Doctor, help me connect them up to their bodies. I can wire in a basic maintenance program until we get back to Earth.

DOCTOR
I wouldn’t get excited, Sylvest. That blowback will have stunted their minds, I doubt they’re using ten per cent of their brain power.

SYLVEST
Then they might as well be human?

DOCTOR
The military will certainly have no interest in them.

SYLVEST
All the better! The Twin Project is cancelled. And I’m not going to let anyone take my sons away. Now will you help me?

DOCTOR
On one condition.

SYLVEST
What’s that?

DOCTOR
Don’t mention me in your autobiography. Come on.

Smiling, the Doctor helps Sylvest lift the skull out of the tube.


42. MODEL SHOT

The sun is finally starting to set, silhouetting the palace.

to be continued...

No comments: