Friday, March 9, 2007

The Twin Dilemma XIV

15. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

Sylvest lifts his head, eyes red from tears. Anyone not bent over controls is aiming their guns at the Doctor and Peri. The Doctor is thoughtful.

DOCTOR
And is this how it ends? No glorious fight, no victory... no one even knows we’re here, Peri. Or knows what we tried to do. If we do die here, no one will even know what happened to us. We just disappeared one day and never came back.

PERI
I wonder how we’ll be remembered.

DOCTOR
Maybe we’ll fade into history. Maybe we’ll tantalize historians, get them arguing. Maybe other people will turn their hand to wandering time and space and saving the universe. They might even have more success than us. Yes, that wouldn’t be a bad legacy to have.

PERI
Don’t you still think we’ll win?

DOCTOR
The way things have been going lately? Not a chance.

PERI
But you said unless the military blow up Joconda, his plan can’t work.

DOCTOR
Oh yes. Without the planetary assault during an unstable time field, how else can Mestor revert Joconda to protomatter and set himself up among the gods?

Azmael looks up, shocked.

AZMAEL
What? Oh, you can’t...

HUGO/MESTOR
I can, Azmael. And you can’t stop me.

DOCTOR
He was playing you for a fool since the beginning, Azmael. This wasn’t about the twins, Joconda or even you. Just about elevating a random grub to the point he could fight the universe that placed him so low in the pecking order.

NOMA/MESTOR
The universe did not choose my people’s place, Doctor. We were one of the oldest races in creation. We spread out before even the Time Lords were young, seeding every planet we could reach with our eggs. The Time Lords put a stop to it and so many of us were rendered mindless, harmless burrowing drones.

DOCTOR
Tractators.

HUGO/MESTOR
One in a million achieves the level of our ancestors, and are named Gravis. And I have exceeded even them!

Azmael approaches Hugo.

AZMAEL
Well, now I know what you’re up to, Mestor, I will kill you. That’s a promise!

NOMA/MESTOR
You think I did not foresee the Doctor would reveal this here and now?

PERI
You didn’t foresee him smashing the power supply!

FABIAN
How do you intend to get them to fire on us?

Sylvest stands up, breathing raggedly. The door opens and the Minister enters.

MINISTER/MESTOR
I believe this answers your question.

NOMA/MESTOR
Drak. Open hailing frequencies to the oncoming fleet.

AZMAEL
Minister, you’re condemning everyone to death! So are you Drak!

Drak turns around. A familiar glassy look in his eyes.

DRAK/MESTOR
The fleet is receiving us.

AZMAEL
Oh, no, Drak, not you too...

The Minister crosses to the other screen, which lights up to show the fleet. All trace of Mestor leaves his voice.

MINISTER
Alliance Fleet, this is Kel Azlan, Minister of Defense on behalf of the Earth Empire. Joconda is under the heel of an insane dictator with a doomsday weapon primed and about to be activated. When activated it will trigger a massive subspace disturbance. Should you detect it you must immediately open fire on the source from low orbit. Lethal force will be used. Prepare to fire, regardless of consequences. Confirm.

Silence.

MINISTER
Confirm!

DRAK/MESTOR
They are definitely receiving us, both sound and vision.

The Doctor shoves Hugo out of the way and shouts at the top of his voice:

DOCTOR
DON’T TRUST HIM! HE SAID THIS OUTFIT WAS THE HIEGHT OF FASHION!

FABIAN
Now THAT will ruin your credibility!

MINISTER
This is Minister Kel Azlan! I order to f—

Peri screams at the top of her voice, blocking out the order. Sylvest shouts.

SYLVEST
A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE!

The Minister whirls around. The metallic pulsing becomes a rising shriek.

MINISTER/MESTOR
NO!

The tube explodes, throwing everyone to the ground. Control panel after control panel explodes outwards. The communicator shatters and explodes in sparks.


16. MODEL SHOT

The glow vanishes from the antennae.


17. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

The lights are dim. Smoke pours out of the ruins of the tube. Everyone is sprawled on the floor. The Doctor rises, coughing. The others are recovering.

PERI
W-what happened?

Sylvest is exhausted. He can’t care any more.

SYLVEST
Final solution. Basic scrambler – in case the twins were ever compromised.

NOMA/MESTOR
Their minds are useless now!

DOCTOR
Did you predict THAT, Mestor? I don’t think any war general will take you seriously. Draconians rate fashion sense very highly.

The Minister struggles to get to his feet.

MINISTER/MESTOR
I... I will take you over, Time Lord, make you retract your statement.

FABIAN
How? The communicator’s down.

AZMAEL
And my TARDIS took the full force of that explosion. It’s out of action.

DOCTOR
No TARDIS, no Time Shift, no Twins, no Baston torpedoes, no planet worth of protomatter, ispo facto Tractatoro! Even if you can get the war fleet to open fire, all you’ll do is reduce this planet to a cinder hanging in space and quite useless for your purpose as you’ll lose every hook you have to this plane.

AZMAEL
Yes, Master Mestor, what are you going to do?

HUGO/MESTOR
You underestimate me, Time Lords. There was always a chance this plan would fail, which is why I have a contingency plan prepared. I cannot be stopped, only delayed!


18. INT. PALACE THRONE ROOM (DAY)

As before.

MESTOR
Slarn. Seek out and secure the Doctor’s TARDIS. I shall face the Time Lord alone.

CHAMBERLAIN
Yes, Master.

The Chamberlain hurries out. Both the GUARDS follow her. Mestor’s antennae begin to wave furiously. Rapidly they glow blue, the glow thickening around it.


19. INT. OPERATIONS’ ROOM (DAY)

The Doctor advances on Noma.

DOCTOR
So, what have you got to say for it, Mestor the Magnanimus Magnificent Municipality?

NOMA/MESTOR
Only that you were a most... unworthy opponent. The next time we meet, it ends.

DOCTOR
Does it?

Suddenly, Noma cries out and clutches his head. So does Hugo. And the Minister and the other Jocondans. They collapse. Sylvest looks around, shaken.

SYLVEST
What’s happening?

DOCTOR
It’s Mestor, he’s... retreating! Giving up all his control!


20. EXT. SHANTY TOWN (DAY)

The ZOMBIE JOCONDANS are swaying around the place, howling. Suddenly they collapse, convulsing on the floor. The Chamberlain is taken aback. Her entourage are not effected and wave her onwards. All the Jocondans lie there, moaning, unable to move they are so weak and famished.


21. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

Noma is huddled in the corner, shivering and exhausted. Hugo and the Minister are not much better. Drak is being sat on a chair by Azmael and Sylvest, trembling. The Doctor is speaking to Fabian while Peri tends to another exhausted Jocondan.

DOCTOR
Once we get the communicator working again, you have got to contact the fleet.

FABIAN
To call off the attack?

DOCTOR
Well, of course. But you the fleet will arrive here. It won’t be an invasion, it will be a rescue mission. All those ships have food to spare, and medical supplies. This planet needs help and you are in a position to provide it.

FABIAN
Why not? Unlike Androzani, we might be able to save this lot.

The Doctor smiles ever-so-slightly.

DOCTOR
I know the feeling. Now get to it, fast as you can.

Fabian turns and moves off. Peri rises and joins the Doctor.

PERI
But what about Mestor?

DOCTOR
I haven’t forgotten, Peri. He’ll have gathered himself back to his proper body by now. Which means I know where he is. I think I’ll pay him a visit. Oi! Dev Tarrant!

AZMAEL
Must you refer to me by the name of famous traitors?

DOCTOR
It helps me sleep at night. Does your museum piece TARDIS come complete with a laboratory?

AZMAEL
Of course.

DOCTOR
Then mix me up a vial of Mosten’s Acid. Quickly.

Azmael rolls his eyes.

AZMAEL
At once, ‘Lord President’. In the sense it will take several minutes to ferment.

Azmael strides into his TARDIS. Peri turns to the Doctor.

PERI
What’s Mosten’s Acid?

DOCTOR
Interesting substance, a breakthrough in the science of chemistry – an acid that ages whatever it touches by a unique process of dehydration. No burning or corrosion, very useful for molding incredibly hard substances without drilling, filing, exploding or weathering. It was being used in an antiques racket on the planet Senile Nine, making brand new vases and figurines look ancient when old Vinny Mosten found it.

They wander towards the TARDIS.


22. INT. AZMAEL’S TARDIS (DAY)

Dim. Smoke curls from the ruins of the console. The familiar hum is totally absent. Azmael stands by an intact control booth. He operates controls. He has a troubled look on his face. He’s listening.

PERI (VO)
So why’d they name it after him?

The Doctor and Peri enter.

DOCTOR
Well, it was the least they could do. When he was about to reveal the truth of the scandal at a press conference, a sample of the acid touched his bare skin. Was reduced to a pile of grey ashes before anyone knew what was happening.

PERI
But why do you want it?

DOCTOR
I haven’t dissected two-metre long slugs before and I don’t think I can find enough sodium chloride to put a dent into Mestor’s confidence. Mosten’s Acid will have to do.

Azmael finally turns from the synthesizer.

AZMAEL
You realize Mestor now has gathered all the aspects of his mind together? That he has full control of himself for the first time you’ve encountered him, and is more powerful than before? It’s suicide.

DOCTOR
If we are perish on Joconda it will not be because of our own belief we cannot win through. I’ve encountered plenty of power-mad megolomaniacs before. This one just happens to be a slug with delusions of grandeur.

AZMAEL
How many slugs have you met that can walk around, read minds and control gravity?

DOCTOR
Thirteen. Next question

PERI
He’ll destroy you!

DOCTOR
Will he?

AZMAEL
You can’t afford to underestimate him, Doctor. He was able to reach across the universe and reanimated the corpses of his squad and wiped out all opposition! And now he has gathered together all his powers...

DOCTOR
Really? How interesting.

PERI
Are you even listening to him?

DOCTOR
You know, since my regeneration I feel much more confident. It surprises me I hung on to my former self for so long. I was too agreeable, too self-effacing. And FAR too tolerant.

Azmael eyes the Doctor suspiciously.

AZMAEL
What is that supposed to mean?

DOCTOR
You know very well.

PERI
I’m sick of this! What happened between you two on Gallifrey? What’s so important you do have to keep ranting on about it even when the universe is about explode!

DOCTOR
You really want to know? Curiosity killed the cat, Peri.

PERI
Satisfaction brought it back.

The Doctor laughs.


23. EXT. WASTELANDS (DAY)

The Chamberlain and the two guards approach the TARDIS. The Chamberlain checks the door.

CHAMBERLAIN
Locked. Why do I always get the dirty jobs?

The guards don’t react.

CHAMBERLAIN
It’s all right for you, you don’t even have to think. I am the royal chamberlain and NOT an errand girl!

GUARD/MESTOR
You are whatever I command you to be, Slarn.

The Chamberlain swallows, horrified.

CHAMBERLAIN
I was just joking, Master. How am I to gain access?

A gentle purple glow envelops the front of the TARDIS, intensifying. There is a clicking, twisting noise and the doors swing inwards. The glow disperses.

CHAMBERLAIN
Thank you, Master.


24. INT. AZMAEL’S TARDIS (DAY)

The Doctor, Peri and Azmael are present. Azmael is making a half-hearted attempt to reset the controls on the gutted console.

DOCTOR
It was a long, long time ago now. I was in my prime, long white hair, crusty, gentle and helping out my friend at an old, part-time TARDIS mechanics shop. I just went about quietly minding my own business.

PERI
You’ve changed a bit. And not just your looks.

DOCTOR
Oh yes. I was a complacent old fool like the rest, just accepting things but not admitting things were happening. But when I attended classes being taught by Cardinal Azmael, he opened my eyes.

Azmael narrows his eyes at this but does not say anything.

DOCTOR
To see the decay and dull depression around me. To remind me that all wonder in the universe is not necessarily available in the Panopticon archives. And when the Capitol guards slammed down on all protests that we should be allowed to leave Gallifrey, Azmael announced he’d had enough. I never saw him again until this day.

AZMAEL
I broke into this TARDIS and left Gallifrey behind. I looked for somewhere to settle. I found a beautiful planet – Vitrol Minor. It was my home.

DOCTOR
But the Time Lords didn’t accept his departure, despite all the popular support he had. They were terrified some passing alien might find out all the dirty washing of Rassilon and used it against us. A vote was cast and the deciding vote was from...

PERI
Verne the Beautiful.

DOCTOR
Yes. For the first and so far last time, the Time Lords decided to dispatch an execution squad after Azmael. Raston Warrior Robots, a squad of the most deadly killing machines ever devised. They found Azmael easily.

AZMAEL
I wasn’t hiding! Don’t take the high ground with me, Doctor. The Rastons slaughtered every single inhabitant of the planet. It was three days of blood drenched slaughter before they even revealed they were after ME!

PERI
How did you escape?

AZMAEL
The people were good, they helped me beyond any individual call of duty. They didn’t care about their personal safety. They smuggled me back into my TARDIS and I jumped as far ahead into the future as I could. By then, Vitrol Minor was called Titan 3. The most desolate place in the known universe. No life whatsoever.

PERI
What happened next?

DOCTOR
According to legend, Azmael returned to Gallifre to indict the Lord President and High Council – they had, after all, broken their inviolate rules of non-intervention. So they bought their innocence with massive bribes, faking evidence that Azmael was the one who sent the Raston Warrior Robots to wipe out the populace of Vitrol Minor.

PERI
Why?

AZMAEL
To ‘gain the planet’s mineral rights’. The fact there isn’t a useful gram of any known mineral to found on the entire planet didn’t seem to be noticed.

PERI
So what did you do?

AZMAEL
I broke into the Council Chamber. With an impulse staser rifle. I gunned down the lot of them. Verne was one of the few to survive long enough to regenerate.

DOCTOR
The stories say the guards arrived and killed him.

AZMAEL
Far from it. They congratulated me because they were the ones who would make up the new High Council. Just as cynical as the old, but less corrupt. They’d been waiting centuries to get their hands on power and I was the one who made it possible. They gave me safe passage off Gallifrey, saying I was a hero who had ‘magnificently cleansed Gallifrey from corruption’. Of course the first thing they did next was set up an inquiry into how security was so lax I was able to kill the last regime so easy. They were worried someone might try it with them.

DOCTOR
They declared you a revolutionary and a murderer, and any vocal supporter of you could expect severe penalties. So, en masse, we tried to flee Gallifrey. Just like you did. Steal a TARDIS and get out while the going’s good. Your name was cursed.

AZMAEL
Did anyone else leave?

DOCTOR
We tried. So many of us tried. So few succeeded. Myself... Mandrake... the Master as he likes to be called now ... the Rani, remember her? Cargan, Ajon, Plutar, Shazar, Cheevah, Anzor, Madrigor, Radik, Magnus, Vipod Mor, Karr, Damon, Varina... The TARDIS bays were stormed by Chancellery Guards and they shot to kill. Some of us got into TARDISes, some of us even managed to escape Gallifrey, the rest fled or were killed or hunted down... And all in the belief they had killed you. But they didn’t, did they? It was all for nothing.

PERI
Oh, stop feeling sorry for yourself! How can it be for nothing! You defeated Mestor, at least stopped his first plan. More than Azmael did! And he’s been on, what? Two planets since he left home! How many have you been to, Doctor? How many have you saved? How many lives have you helped? Made better? Fixed!

The Doctor is looking at Azmael.

DOCTOR
I thought... When I realized I could do things. Change things. Make things better. And I always thought I would do what you would have done. Fix things, make the universe just that bit nicer. See things for myself. Work things out.

AZMAEL
And you’ve saved the universe?

DOCTOR
Once or twice.

AZMAEL
And you want me to apologize for that? That one of my students believed in me to the point he’s done more than even I can imagine?

PERI
But I can imagine this situation. We’re in trouble. And I’m scared. I don’t know how to save the universe this time. Do you?

AZMAEL
No.

PERI
Doctor?

DOCTOR
Oh, I had one or two ideas.

AZMAEL
Which are?

The Doctor holds up his hand and with a magic flourish suddenly holds a familiar key.

DOCTOR
The TARDIS key. I want you and Azmael to head there. Azmael can set the coordinates for home. If I don’t come back, leave without me.

PERI
You think you won’t come back?

The Doctor crosses to the synthesizer and bangs it with a fist. A flask of orange-yellow fluid emerges from a hatch. Very, VERY carefully, Azmael lifts it up. The Doctor snatches it out of his hand and drops it in his pocket.

AZMAEL
Careful! Remember Professor Mosten!

DOCTOR
Oh, I do. Very well.

He turns to Peri.

DOCTOR
Time to say goodbye again, Peri. For the last time, perhaps.

PERI
Look, maybe, maybe we can just chalk this one down to experience, huh?

DOCTOR
Experience?

PERI
Mestor can’t carry out his plan. We can get out of here.

DOCTOR
Run away?

PERI
If you like.

DOCTOR
No, Peri. I rather the fancy I’ve reached a point where there’s nowhere left to run to. I’m tired. I was tired before we went to Androzani Major and to be honest, I’m tired now. I’m not a hero, Peri. I never was. I make mistakes and people die. And now I think that I’ve reached the end of the line. But if it ends here for me, it ends here for Mestor.

PERI
And what about me?

Azmael coughs, self consciously.

AZMAEL
I’ll be outside.

He leaves. Peri watches him go.

PERI
I’m sorry about Azmael.

The Doctor scowls.

DOCTOR
Hollow words, Peri! You didn’t have him as your inspiration in your formative years!

PERI
I wasn’t feeling sorry about Azmael, I was feeling sorry for you!

DOCTOR
How can you feel sorry for me? You don’t understand how a Gallifreyan experiences grief, rejection, betrayal... Come to that, you don’t understand me as a person! You don’t even KNOW me any longer!

PERI
That’s certainly true! Do you even know me?

DOCTOR
Perpeguilliam Brown. Your father died when you were young. Your mother, an archaeologist married Howard Foster, a similar expert. You drink grape soda because you like it, you have a learner driver’s licence, your favorite film is Ghostbusters and several years ago you took up smoking. You’re not as good a swimmer as you could be. And you’re my friend.

Peri sighs.

PERI
You’re my friend, too. I guess. When you’re not mad and trying to kill me.

DOCTOR
So trust my judgement. Go to the TARDIS. Wait as long as you think is necessary, then head off. If I miss you, I’ll just repair Azmael’s ramshackle excuse for a TARDIS. Don’t grieve for me, Peri. Worst comes to the worst, you’ll just have to fend for yourself.

PERI
Guess so. I’ll miss you.

DOCTOR
And I’ll miss you. I wish we’d had more time together.

PERI
Yeah. With either of you. I mean, I preferred the old you but... well, you know.

DOCTOR
I do. There’s nothing else to say.

PERI
I wish we could have parted under better circumstances.

DOCTOR
You come to expect farewells when you reach my age.

They shake hands rather formally.

PERI
Turlough told me to look after you.

DOCTOR
And you did.

He taps her on the nose playfully.

DOCTOR
Now, come on. Time is on the wing, the frost is on the pumpkin and it’s time to carry the meat to the next station. Anchors away! I fear foul deeds are afoot, and something is rotten in the state of Denmark, but that can wait for now.

Putting an arm around her, he leads her to the exit, full of bohemia.


25. INT. OPERATIONS CONTROL (DAY)

Drak and Noma are still recovering. Azmael is with Hugo. Sylvest is still sobbing. The Doctor emerges from Azmael’s TARDIS with Peri in tow.

DOCTOR
Ah, Feldwebel Lang. How are you feeling?

HUGO
Half-dead.

DOCTOR
Splendid. I want you to escort Azmael and Peri back to the TARDIS. I rather fancy that Mestor has his sightless eyes locked onto it. They might need help.

HUGO
Why me?

DOCTOR
You are supposed to be an interplanetary pursuit officer!

AZMAEL
But who can Mestor send? He has no supporters now he has freed them all!

DOCTOR
What about Slarn? I know her type – far too diligent and enthusiastic to serve the Master of Joconda, she’s probably made a lot of enemies. When the rest of the people recover, who’s going to next for the chop? Eh, Noma?

Noma glares at him, sick.

NOMA
Fine. Execute me. I did my duty.

DOCTOR
A henchman with a moral compass? The universe can still surprise me.

HUGO
Maybe he’s still getting orders from Mestor. He must be up to something.

DOCTOR
Yes, and the fact you worked that out shows just how obvious it is, Commissioner. Right, you lot, get going while Fabian coordinates the landing. I’m off to have a chat with Mestor.

HUGO
Alone?

DOCTOR
I have always managed alone, Warden. I was born alone. I shall die alone and I’ve also come to the conclusion that it is best to spend the time between those two unfortunate events alone. Do you understand? Now go with the others to the TARDIS. I don’t need you getting in my way, Star Major. Now go. You too, Peri, while you can.

PERI
Goodbye, Doctor.

DOCTOR
Good luck, Peri.

Peri heads off, followed by Hugo who can barely stand.

DOCTOR
Such a nice girl. I hope I see her again.

AZMAEL
I’m sure you will.

DOCTOR
I’m not so sure.

AZMAEL
Maybe we should both have stayed at home, Doctor?

DOCTOR
A long life on Gallifrey or the few years that brought me here? No contest. I might have lost lately, but I’ve had successes. Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, the Master, the Yeti... Beat them all, and plenty of others. I’ve saved the Earth so many times that if I have to do it again I might just go stark staring mad... The successes outweigh the defeats, even though the defeats hurt more. Maybe it WAS a mistake coming here. Maybe it was a mistake leaving Gallifrey. I had lots of opportunities to turn back. I never took them. It seems churlish to complain now.

AZMAEL
Goodbye, Doctor. As Drak said, be at peace.

DOCTOR
Oh I am. I am indeed.

The Doctor heads down the corridor and out of sight.

DOCTOR
Tis a far, far better thing I do now than I have ever done. Tis a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known.

Azmael watches him go, impassive.

HUGO (VO)
Azmael!

AZMAEL
Go on ahead. I’ll catch you up.

He turns and heads for his ruined TARDIS.


25. INT. SPECIAL INCIDENTS ROOM (DAY)

Elena and the others are staring in shock at the scanner screen. Shot through with distortion, Fabian is visible.

ELENA
Say again, General?

FABIAN
All bar the first few ships are to head for the Sirrius System. No armed assualts are necessary. Humanitarian aide is required on Androzani Major as soon as possible. The rest of the fleet will assist in restoring order to Joconda.

ELENA
They surrendered, then?

FABIAN
In a way.

ELENA
Have you regained the twins, sir?

FABIAN
In a way. The war’s off, Elena.

ELENA
What about Minister Azlan?

FABIAN
He’s forefeited his authority, I am in command. Get on with it, Elena.

ELENA
Yes, sir.

FABIAN
And you can get the President to end martial law, the emergency is over.

Relief is making Elena expasterated.

ELENA
Yes, sir. Anything else?

FABIAN
Get more coffee. Joconda out.

Fabian’s grinning face vanishes from the screen. Elena turns to face the rest of the room.

ELENA
You heard. We better get started. There’s a lot to do.


26. EXT. SHANTY TOWN (DAY)

Far more livelier than the last time we saw it. Jocondans are now running around, shouting, and on the verge of panic. Others are dragging the bodies of their fellows, unconscious or dead, to cover. Hugo and Peri peer around the corner of a building.

HUGO
I think I preferred the zombies.

A FEMALE JOCONDAN (the one the Doctor spoke to in the second episode) steps from a building, wielding a knife. She’s afraid.

FEMALE JOCONDAN
Who are you? Where did you come from?

Hugo goes for his gun, but Peri shoulder-charges him, knocking him over.

PERI
Hugo, no! We’re friends.

FEMALE JOCONDAN
Friends?

PERI
Of Azmael. We helped defeat Mestor!

FEMALE JOCONDAN
You’re off-worlders.

Hugo gets to his feet.

HUGO
Yeah, we’re part of a rescue mission.

FEMALE JOCONDAN
Those ships in the sky?

They look up. We can just make out the shapes against the bright sky.

PERI
That’s it, they’re, uh, relief ships. And this is Lieutenant [LOO-TENNANT] Hugo Lang, here to help. Aren’t you?
HUGO
You bet. We’re here to help restore order, replenish crops and... stuff like that.

The Jocondan carefully lowers her weapon.

FEMALE JOCONDAN
Then you’re welcome, strangers. Is the Sectom Mestor dead?

HUGO
Well, actually...

There is a distant explosion and a loud cheer. They enter the street as more Jocondans run past, heading past them.

PERI
What was that?

FEMALE JOCONDAN
They’ve broken into the hydroponics dome. The others must be about to fall as well. We’ve got to start getting food to the hospitals.

She heads off. Peri starts to follow. Hugo grabs her arm.

HUGO
Wait, Peri! What about the TARDIS?

PERI
These people need help. You can wait here for Azmael if you want.

HUGO
But...

PERI
Look, this way you can become a hero to these people by getting them food. It may not be glamorous, but it's safer than fighting mind-controlled zombies, right?

She turns and heads off. Hugo, annoyed, follows her.

HUGO
When was the last time a famine relief worker got his own chat show, huh? Answer me that!


27. INT. AZMAEL’S TARDIS

Azmael is pacing. The synthesizer chimes again. Another flask emerges. Azmael nods and heas for the doorway.

AZMAEL
Time to finish this. Once and for all.

to be be continued...

No comments: