Friday, April 6, 2007

The Enemy Within XV

26. INT. MASTER’S ZERO ROOM (DAY) B&W

The Master, in his TARDIS, laughs and chuckles as he watches the scanner.


27. EXT. BASE OF TELESCOPE (DAY) B&W

The Doctor’s body lies sprawled between TEGAN, Nyssa and Adric. As they watch, the Doctor’s face blurs into that of a wraith like Watcher, then a new face, which blurs into the FIFTH DOCTOR, who smiles and sits up.


28. INT. MASTER’S ZERO ROOM (DAY) B&W

The Master controls his annoyance.

MASTER
So, Doctor. You have survived. But at what cost, I wonder?


29. INT. SALOON (NIGHT)

The family are kicking and knocking down the barricade. The Doctor and Peri back away as the Master closes in on them from the other direction.

DOCTOR
Master. We can settle old scores without hurting innocent people.

MASTER
This is not about the scores between us – this is about justice. Vengeance.

DOCTOR
Oh, so you’re giving up the mad plan to take control of the universe?

MASTER
The universe isn’t worth salvaging, Doctor. All that’s left is you.


30. EXT. THE DEATH ZONE (DAY) B&W

A grey sky over a windswept grassy plain. In a long cloak, the Master stands in a small meadow. A short distance away from him stands the Fifth Doctor.

MASTER
I know this is going to be hard to believe, Doctor, but for once, I mean you no harm.

FIFTH DOCTOR
Like Alice, I try to believe three impossible things before breakfast. Go on.

MASTER
I've been sent here by the High Council to help you. Be reasonable, Doctor.

FIFTH DOCTOR
I am. I listened.

The Master reveals he holds his TCE, aimed at the Fifth Doctor’s chest.

MASTER
As you see, I’m armed. I could easily kill you if I wanted to.

FIFTH DOCTOR
And not humiliate me first? Ooh, that isn’t your style at all.


31. INT. SALOON (NIGHT)

As before. The Doctor holds up his hands placatingly.

DOCTOR
Ah huh, you can’t kill us yet. Asphyxiation, matter compression, boredom after so much self-justifying claptrap about the universe owing you a living... you can’t do any of that yet. We haven’t seen the culmination of your work yet! You don’t want to us when there’s history in the making!

MASTER
Not this time.

DOCTOR
You’ll be saying “all good battles must come to and end” next.

MASTER
You truly believed I’d allow you to get away with what you did to me? You have been naive.

DOCTOR
Oh, I’m never naive. So you kill us? Then what? Complete and utter obedience as your slaves because everyone except you is weak and insignificant?

PERI
Guide the universe to a new tomorrow or destroy it utterly?

DOCTOR
That’s always a popular one. Uh, that’s close enough, thank you.

The Master continues to advance. The Doctor shrugs and flings out an arm. The Master’s head jerks, as if slapped, but keeps moving.

DOCTOR
Ah.

He tries again. The Master raises a hand and the Doctor is flung backwards.

MASTER
You never DO understand, do you Doctor? I am beyond your understanding, beyond your reach, beyond your comprehension. I am more than you can conceive. More than flesh. More than blood. More than you. And I have you exactly where I want you.

DOCTOR
Yes. So it seems.

The family advances through the wreckage towards him. Pascoe has an axe, the Colonel his pistol, Tracey clutches a golf club and Maurice a shotgun. Emily and Theodore both carry fencing swords. They circle the Doctor and Peri.

DOCTOR
Can I ask a question or do you want to make another speech?

MASTER
What?

DOCTOR
Why do you get up in the mornings?

Both the Master and Peri look at the Doctor like he’s gone nuts.

DOCTOR
I’m speaking generally.

MASTER
You’re speaking gibberish.

DOCTOR
Fluently. But I am serious. Why? What motivates you do ANYTHING at all? Leave aside all the psionic relays and telepathic download matrixes... you’re a ghost. You have come back from the dead. Why?

The Doctor advances on the Master, unafraid.

DOCTOR
What do YOU have to live for?

MASTER
Power.

DOCTOR
And that’s it? ‘Power’? That’s all you’ve got? Not friends, not family, not love, not passion, not curiosity... and you call yourself the Master? When you’re ‘the Master’ of precisely nothing. A stolen company TARDIS, a stolen body... and what? Nothing.

MASTER
Is that your best defense, Doctor? I should give up because I don’t have as many friends as you? Puerile. Pathetic. Predictable.

DOCTOR
You don’t FAIL to have friends, you don’t even try. You’ve cut yourself off from everything that makes this bleak plane of existence bearable. I mean, I can’t imagine what you do all day apart from wanting me dead.

MASTER
I am the Master.

DOCTOR
Yes, but of WHAT? What do you master, what do you control? What have you got to show for nine centuries, hmmm? You’re not a Time Lord any more. Not even Gallifreyan. In fact, you’re not even the real Master – just an echo of his death rattle.

MASTER
More than enough to carry out what I must.

DOCTOR
Yes, yes, kill me, conquer the universe. Then what?

MASTER
You won’t be around to experience it.

DOCTOR
Evasion, again. You don’t know, do you? Once you conquer the universe, what will you do with it? Destroy it after a few minutes? I mean, you’re not capable of running it, are you? And do you know why? Because you don’t CARE about anyone else in it! They can all drop dead for all it matters for you. So why do you want to take over someone you don’t want to have? Why not just pilot your TARDIS through a black star, away from everyone else. To be on your own, safe and sound.

The Master smiles.

MASTER
And what do you have to live for, Doctor? Peri? Is that it? An ape-descended girl who’ll die of old age before you get a gray hair? A human being that would go insane trying to comprehend what you and I take as fact?

The Doctor looks at Peri affectionately.

DOCTOR
She’s got a lovely smile.

PERI
Shucks.

The Master blinks.

MASTER
And?

DOCTOR
It’s more than you’ve got. More than you’ve ever had. Just give up and go into the light or whatever it is that lies beyond the Great Divide. I think your lonely, tortured existence is the universe trying to tell you something. That you’re not in the right.

MASTER
This not about right, or wrong. Just words. There is only power.

DOCTOR
And that’s something you don’t have, half-wit! That you never had! You never will have! Because, just to clarify matters, you are a ghost. A non-corporeal Gallifreyan. You’re dead. Demised. You have passed on. You are no more. You have ceased to be. You have expired but not gone to meet your maker. A late Master. A restless spirit. Bereft of life, but not resting in peace, you should be pushing up daises because it’s time to ring down the curtain and join the choir invisible. YOU... ARE AN EX... TIME LORD!!

A beat.

MASTER
Believe it or not, Doctor, I had noticed.

DOCTOR
I thought it best to make sure. You often miss the little things.

MASTER
Not any more.

He raises his hand and snaps his fingers.

DOCTOR
Quite right. I want to finish this.

Peri tugs on his sleeve.

PERI
Doctor...

DOCTOR
Shush. Our little game is over.

MASTER
So it is.

DOCTOR
No more tricks to play. No more promises. No more bolt holes deep enough for either of us to hide in and feel safe.

MASTER
Except one.

DOCTOR
Yes. I am willing to offer YOU mercy.

MASTER
“Mercy”?

DOCTOR
More than you can understand? Certainly more than you deserve.

The Master rolls his eyes.

MASTER
Get to the point.

DOCTOR
All right. You want a new body, a TARDIS, freedom to go out in the universe. I want you to leave the people and this planet alone. An accord can be reached.

MASTER
How so?

DOCTOR
Well, I am a Time Lord. Not too long in the tooth and have at least another handful of regenerations left. And between you and me, the physiognomy really is a dire improvement on the last few. Only one previous owner. Only ever used it on weekends.

MASTER
You’d lower your mental defenses? Let me take total control?

DOCTOR
My body, yes. And my TARDIS. On the condition you release these people and never return. After all, why would you be interested in this one insignificant planet when you’ve got the destiny of the whole universe to sort out?

MASTER
Your word on it?

DOCTOR
My word on it.

The Master smiles broadly.

MASTER
Ah. But I know how worthless your word is, Doctor.

DOCTOR
And I know from bitter experience that I can’t trust you. But you will notice Peri is holding my sonic screwdriver. It is keyed to her vital signs. Should she get too frightened, lose consciousness unexpectedly or be threatened, the screwdriver will register it and trigger a controlled burst that will fry the dematerialization circuitry of my TARDIS.

MASTER
Why should I care?

DOCTOR
You actually intend to stay on Earth if you get my body? Your TARDIS is out of reach at present – since you recklessly crashed it. You’ll need my WORKING TARDIS to get it back or be marooned here, in time and space, for good.

MASTER
And no doubt you wish Miss Brown to come to no harm.

DOCTOR
No doubt. The question is, can I trust you to keep your word? You are, after all, utterly insane.

MASTER
I consider myself reasonable. For a madman. I think we can come to some arrangement.

DOCTOR
You don’t understand me, Master.

MASTER
Oh but I do. I may be the only one who ever did.

DOCTOR
If you release these people, leave Earth in peace you get a Time Lord body, your TARDIS, your freedom. The idea of conquering the universe suddenly regaining its appeal? I don’t see anyone making you a better offer, Master.

PERI
This is crazy!

DOCTOR
This isn’t about winning, Peri. It’s about what’s right. I betrayed the Master all those years ago. I owe him. That’s all there is to it.

The Master shakes his head in disbelief.

MASTER
You really would, wouldn’t you. You are facing total soul-death for these primitives!

DOCTOR
That WAS the idea. Now. Release these people.

MASTER
Why? They’re just like me – they don’t feel anything, no guilt, no pain, no fear of anything any more!

DOCTOR
That’s why I want you to release them.


32. INT. THE MASTER’S TARDIS (DAY) B&W

Peri, AMYAND and the Fifth Doctor, crouch by a smooth black upright box with an open top. Inside is a green-lit control room laboratory in which stands the miniaturized, doll-sized form of the Master who has to shout up at them to be heard.

FIFTH DOCTOR
How does it feel to get a taste of you own medicine?

MASTER
I live, Doctor!

FIFTH DOCTOR
Albeit in somewhat reduced circumstances.

MASTER
I shall soon be restored – to profit from my research.

FIFTH DOCTOR
Ah, you were experimenting with the tissue compression eliminator?

MASTER
I was building a new – and more deadly – version. I increased its power a hundred fold!

FIFTH DOCTOR
You made it too powerful for your own good.

The Master shrugs it off.

MASTER
A small design problem.

FIFTH DOCTOR
And a very small Master. That’s why you needed Kamelion, isn’t it?

MASTER
I’ve lodged in the mind of that slave since our fateful meeting on Xeriphas!

The Fifth Doctor frowns, remembering.

FIFTH DOCTOR
That scream in the TARDIS... he even felt your pain.

The Master nods smugly.

MASTER
Mmm, and came instantly to my help!

The Master looks around the control box, excited.

MASTER
Now, with the next surge of numismaton gas, all is prepared for my supreme renewal!

AMYAND
Kill him, Doctor!

The Fifth Doctor glances at Amyand as if he’s talking gibberish.

AMYAND
What are you waiting for?

MASTER
Just as he waited for centuries!

The Fifth Doctor glares angrily down at the Master, but does not speak.

MASTER
Second-rank genius... crippled by moral scruples! How could the Doctor ever destroy ME?

AMYAND
By wringing your neck as if it were a rat or a snake. And if HE won’t do it, I will!

The Master realizes the relatively giant Sarn is serious.

MASTER
NO!

AMYAND
Out of the way, Doctor.

Amyand shoves the Doctor aside.

FIFTH DOCTOR
No, wait...

AMYAND
Don’t worry – I owe you a favor.

Amyand reaches into the box.

MASTER
NO!


33. INT. SALOON (NIGHT)

The Doctor and Peri watch on as the Master strides before the immobilized Fford-Joneses and Pascoe, like a general on parade.

MASTER
These animals that you’re trying to save have already fallen. Everyone has that little bit of darkness in them, and I am willing to acknowledge that. Compassion, love, what is the point of such emotions? Idiots like you preach about humility and selflessness, but such thoughts go against life kind's very nature. These creatures are animals, Doctor, and the law of the jungle is survival of the fittest, not survival of the nicest. They’re advanced enough for their own science to prove this!

DOCTOR
Yet they still fight to remain civilized! Their mutual love of Daniel will keep them going now he is gone, and he sacrificed his life out of love for all of them!

MASTER
You think this family is some kind of shining example of virtue! Look at the Colonel over there – he’s as dark and twisted as the rest, aren’t you?

The Master crosses to the Colonel and snaps his fingers. A look of horror crosses the old man’s face and he sags, starting to sob.

COLONEL
I didn’t mean it... I’m sorry... so sorry...

PERI
A-about what?

MASTER
The Colonel here is rich by the standards of England. His wealth came from a diamond mind he discovered during his army days. He butchered the native tribesmen who lived there, who would have made mining diamonds difficult. Hundreds dead – not in battle, not in self defense or even ideological conflict. Just slaughtered. And he was left with the diamonds. And now he is rich on the corpses of peasants who would most likely have helped him get the precious jewels.

COLONEL
I didn’t know! I didn’t know, I swear it. I gave more than half it to the neighboring tribes, I ensured they got title to the land...

MASTER
Not enough, Colonel! You have their blood on your hands!

DOCTOR
Leave him alone.

Amused, the Master snaps his fingers again. The Colonel freezes once more.

MASTER
Oh, Doctor, his conscience plagues him far worse than I could. That’s why I freed him from it. Let him loose. You want him to suffer this?

DOCTOR
If you take away that suffering, his freedom is nothing.

MASTER
Oh? I suppose you’d say the same about these loyal children of his? Au contraire, Doctor. Maurice.

He snaps his fingers. Maurice blinks and drops the rifle in horror.

MASTER
Please enlighten Miss Brown about that cyanide you tried to kill her with.

MAURICE
I... I didn’t...

MASTER
Oh, of course. That was me. But I didn’t give you the poison, you had it already.

He takes the vial from Maurice's pocket and studies it.

MASTER
What were you going to do with it?

MAURICE
I... we were... going to dust his shot glass with it.

MASTER
Your father’s shot glass. You were going to kill him.

MAURICE
Yes.

MASTER
Your own father. You were going to murder your own father to get his wealth.

Weeping, Maurice furiously shakes his head.

MAURICE
No...

MASTER
I’ve seen inside your heart, Maurice. Don’t lie.

MAURICE
I don’t want to kill him!

MASTER
You’ll still do it, won’t you?

MAURICE
It was Theo’s idea!

MASTER
And that absolves you from blame, does it?

MAURICE
No, but...

The Master snaps his fingers again. Maurice freezes, becoming impassive once more and Theo begins to shake, as if cold. The Master drops the vial into his hand.

MASTER
Well, Theo?

THEODORE
I... I don’t have to justify myself to you.

MASTER
But you do have to justify yourself to your father.

The Master points to the Colonel, who looks pained.

COLONEL
Please...

THEODORE
Yes. It was my idea.

The Master claps his hands. All the humans freeze.

MASTER
You see, Doctor? These people aren’t worth saving – they’re certainly not worth you risking oblivion on their behalf! The Colonel that murdered an innocent people...

He walks around the ring of family members, passing the Colonel, Theodore and Maurice.

MASTER
His conspiring sons planning to kill him...

Past Emily.

MASTER
...the unfaithful wife...

Past Tracey.

MASTER
...and the wife that simply doesn’t care! She drove her husband away.

Past Pascoe.

MASTER
The faithful servant, treated like dirt by those dependent on him.

The Master finishes beside the couch on which lies Daniel’s corpse.

MASTER
And last but not least, the pathetic weakling Daniel that ended his life – so desperate was he not to spend another second with this family. You almost have to sympathize. Who wants to live in this world of murderers?

The Master returns to the Doctor, who has his arms folded.

DOCTOR
They’re not murderers.

MASTER
Oh but they are. See it.

DOCTOR
See? You poor, blind fool. SEE? I see a man who made a mistake years ago, who did his desperate best to make amends and still feels guilty. He knew what he did was wrong and would change it back in an instant if he could.

MASTER
But he can’t.

DOCTOR
No. But sometimes that’s all that matters. The wish.

The Doctor turns to Tracey who stares blankly ahead.

DOCTOR
I see a young woman who did not how to deal with the fact her husband’s brain was possessed with a psionic parasite. And I know what Daniel felt about her, because his last words were tell me to relay his love to her.

He turns back to the Colonel, Maurice and Theodore.

DOCTOR
And as for this murder plot, I see a father who is ill. Who is drinking more and more. Not because of addiction, but because he has a disease. A fatal one. One that cannot be cured in this time and place. I see a father attempting to drink himself to death to spare his loved ones a long, drawn out agonizing demise. A man who wants his family not to suffer, even while he does.

The Doctor sighs and places his hands on Theodore’s shoulders.

DOCTOR
And that’s what Theo discovered. Isn’t it? It’s why you came up with this plot. Not a murder plot. But euthanasia. You wanted your father to die peacefully, not a drunken wreck. But neither of them had the ruthlessness to carry it out. It’s why Maurice was able to let Peri escape, why you couldn’t control Theo to the same degree. They’re not killers. They know it was wrong and I don’t believe for a moment they would have carried it out. Theo might be harder to read, but with that burden, who could blame his wife looking for something else.

The Doctor turns to Pascoe.

DOCTOR
And poor Simon Pascoe. Who CHOSE to work here. Who could live in a moment if he wanted to. He may hate the servant life, but he stays in this house, in that job, out of loyalty to his employer. Of course he wants something better, who wouldn’t? But he will not betray his ideals, or the people he works for. Who are important to him enough for him to swallow his discomfort and stay.

He turns once more to face the Master.

DOCTOR
When I look at this family, I see people motivated by love and I find that very hard to condemn. You’ll never convince me that these people – or ANY people - are not worth saying. If there is darkness in everyone then there must also be light. And light will always be worth preserving, no matter what the cost. If I die and they live, then it is enough.

The Master shakes his head in abject disbelief.

MASTER
You maudlin old fool. We truly are on different paths, aren’t we?

DOCTOR
Perhaps. Do you agree?

MASTER
Humanity is of no consequence to me, whether they live or die is incidental.

DOCTOR
Incidental? To what? Your frighteningly dull and destructive obsessions? Your obsession to rule and oppress everything around you? Do you agree?

MASTER
I agree.

DOCTOR
Can I trust you?

MASTER
Can I trust you?

DOCTOR
Fine. Release them all and I will lower the barriers.

The Master laughs.

MASTER
And thus rides Apollyon!

All the family scream and clutch their heads, collapsing to the ground. They continue to cry out and writhe for a moment, but one by one go limp as they pass out. Peri, holding the sonic screwdriver awkwardly, reaches down and examines the still form of Maurice.

PERI
What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MASTER
Restored their sanity. As you asked. You never said it had to be painless. They will recover... with full recall of all that has happened tonight. Let’s see how much family love can take before they try to kill each other again?

He chuckles.


34. INT. SEISMIC CONTROL CENTRE (DAY) B&W

A massive industrial chamber, with a barbecue-style grille in the floor to one side. Behind it stands the Master’s disguised TARDIS. Placed on the grille is the control box. The flames surging up from the grille suddenly change colour. The Fifth Doctor and Peri stand by a control console, looking warily at the flames.

PERI
Is this it? Is this the surge?

The Master’s head rises over the top of the control box, then higher, followed by his body. The blue flame is stimulating his growth. As he continues to grow, he looks at the duo with malicious intent.

PERI
Oh no...

At that moment, the police box TARDIS materializes in the corner. The Fifth Doctor smiles happily.

FIFTH DOCTOR
Well done, Turlough! Quickly, into the TARDIS!

The Fifth Doctor, keeping his eyes on the Master, shoves Peri behind him.

PERI
But...

FIFTH DOCTOR
I can face him on my own, now go!

She runs over to the police box and scrambles. Inside. The Master is now back to his normal size. He chuckles menacingly.

MASTER
I shall come from this fire a thousand times stronger... to hound you to the borders of the universe.

The Doctor watches on, thinking furiously. Suddenly the flame splutters and changes colour, back the way they were. The Master stiffens and gasps. He points to the console beside the Doctor, speaking with effort.

MASTER
What have you done?

FIFTH DOCTOR
I re-injected the calorific gas back into the numismaton.

MASTER
Cancel the re-injection! Immediately!

The Doctor does not move, as if entranced. The Master struggles, but cannot leave the control box. The flames around him grow brighter and hotter.

MASTER
Cut the feed! DOCTOR!

The Doctor does not move, still staring at him.

MASTER
I’ll plague you to the end of time for this...

The Master cries out as the flames get higher and brighter.

MASTER
I’ve give you anything in creation! Help me! Doctor! HELP ME!

The Doctor stares at him, looking lost.

MASTER
Please, Doctor! PITY ME!

Sadly, the Doctor silently shakes his head. The Master looks so outraged, he for a moment forgets the pain around him.

MASTER
WON’T YOU SHOW MERCY FOR YOUR OWN ---

The fire turns to sheer white. The Master starts screaming, convulsing as he blurs out of focus and dissolves into the glare, leaving no trace he existed. The Doctor continues to stare at the raging pillar of fire. It is suddenly quiet. Then, still in a daze, he turns and walks unsteadily back into the TARDIS without looking back.

- to be continued...

No comments: