Friday, April 6, 2007

The Enemy Within XVI

35. INT. SALOON (NIGHT)

The Doctor is talking to Peri while the Master watches on.

DOCTOR
Don’t worry. Neural bleedback. The Master is diluted with Daniel... and myself. Enough sanity mixed in with him to make him... less psychotically unpredictable. You will be all right. Promise.

PERI
What am I supposed to say? Send me a postcard? Don’t forget to write?

DOCTOR
I thought you hated pen pals?

PERI
I do. It’s just... I’ll miss you.

DOCTOR
Oh, I have absolute faith in your ability to survive, Peri.

PERI
You don’t have to do this!

DOCTOR
Yes. I do. Now, don’t grieve for me, Peri. You’ve got your own life to live now, you don’t need to worry about me any more. You can find your own way. Without me.

MASTER
Very touching. Are you finished?

The Doctor glares at the Master, and crosses over to him.

DOCTOR
Would it matter if I were?

MASTER
Perhaps we shall meet again, Doctor.

DOCTOR
Perhaps we shall. But I doubt it.

MASTER
I can feel your fear Doctor. I like that.

DOCTOR
Enjoy it while you can.

MASTER
Do you know what you’ll see when you die, Doctor? You won’t need your eyes to see absolute and eternal nothing, it’s more than your mind could truly fathom. Writhing, crucified bodies without sentience, devouring each other with bloody grins. A red, bloated and dying sun in the most alien sky I have ever known, turning the other planets black. Beneath it a sluggish sea of black oil from which dead hands clawed out of the fluid to grab the gas eddies above. That’s all I managed to perceive, the first few seconds of Hell, before it became too much for me... And me, a Time Lord!

DOCTOR
You stopped being a Time Lord long ago. Get it over with.

MASTER
The one thing you don’t lack, Doctor is courage. You can trust these primitives. They have such uncertainties in themselves, but you have certainty in them. The universe is full of chaos but you still trust that somehow things will work out in the end. You think freedom allows us to make the right decisions.

DOCTOR
You sound almost envious.

MASTER
How could I be anything else but envious? Even though you treasure what I despise.

The Doctor rolls his eyes.

DOCTOR
You’re getting one last chance, Master. You shouldn’t waste it on your selfish ambition. And don’t waste any more lives in murder or destruction.

MASTER
There will always be death in this reality. There will always be lives wasted, hearts broken, tragedy... even you, Doctor, should be aware of that.

DOCTOR
I am. But you deliberately add to it. You don’t have to.

MASTER
Oh, Doctor, you will be beyond caring what I do with my new life.

DOCTOR
Perhaps. But change is inevitable, Master. You can’t go on like this forever, killing and destroying. One day, even if I’m gone, one day, you will be stopped. For good.

MASTER
I will bear that in mind. Any last words, Doctor?

The Doctor shrugs.

DOCTOR
It is a far, far better thing I do now than I have ever done. It is a far, far better rest I go to than I have never known...

MASTER
I would say I would miss you, Doctor. But we both know that’s not true.

The Doctor closes his eyes. The Master explodes into a blast of energy that fills the room. Lightning seems to flicker and pulse. The Doctor’s head lolls, eyes wide. Everything shimmers and blurs. Fragments of time snap into focus and then blur. It’s all happening too fast to make sense.

FIFTH DOCTOR
I’m sorry I got you into this, Peri.

PERI
You can’t leave me now!

FIFTH DOCTOR
Might regenerate... feels different... this... this...

DOCTOR
You ignorant harpy! You and your poisons, you’re trying to kill me! Let the poison straight into my head? Well, not this time! How do you like THAT, assassin?

MESTOR
I can see into your hearts, Time Lord.

DOCTOR
You will stay, won’t you?

PERI
Well, it’s either this or study for the next three months...

CYBER CONTROLLER
You seem to take a great deal of satisfaction in insulting us, Doctor. Curious behavior.

DOCTOR
Oh, well-spotted, Lt Brown! Glad I've got you on hand for a navigator!

PERI
What sort of vermin are you?

SIL
Vermin who will with much joy your deathing throes watch, my dearest!

DOCTOR
Well, well, well, the Rani.

RANI
The Time Lords would never permit it.

DOCTOR
Who said anything about involving them?

PERI
I had a bad dream. Nothing important.

We dissolve to the next scene:


36. THE BEYOND

The Doctor (in the same position, as if the surroundings have changed) is looking down the corridor at the building glow. His voice echoes. He sounds more and more delighted.

DOCTOR
Displaced... Dislodged... On a different angle from known experience... So numb... Goodnight sweet prince! Everything’s... pulsing... my head... body... pulsing louder and louder! The air’s humming! Beauty dominates the mind! The exquisite subtlety of swimming! Bouyant! Jubilant! Solidness in what is not solid! The world is made of spun silk! I can see the curve upon the horizon! Gravity’s condemnation turns to adoration!

He giggles as the light gradually blots him out. His voice is distorting, coming from far off, getting fainter and fainter.

DOCTOR
There is a conclusion after all! Falling and singing! Time and space are unabated, inexhaustible, never stretching towards eternity! Matter sucked into the brooding ego! Every concept bolted down! All art ends as a universe under construction! It all makes sense now! Hah! You hear that, Peri? IT ALL MAKES –

Whiteness.


37. INT. SALOON (NIGHT)

The lightning flickers and clears to show the Doctor in the same position. There is quiet enough to hear the clocks have started ticking again. Peri lowers her hands.

PERI
He... Is he...?

The “Doctor” grins at her.

“DOCTOR”
Gone? Of course he is. It is not a cheerful place to die, but death is never cheerful. But he has left you sorely unprotected, left you to taste my anger and my frustration from all the years of being thwarted. How mean of him. Now. Beg for you life, my dear. Perhaps I’ll spare you if you humor my whims. After all, you didn’t think I would forget about you? Leaving me alone with the Doctor? Letting me die?

He picks up Pascoe’s knife. The sonic screwdriver’s beeping is getting louder.

“DOCTOR”
I wonder how much blood I can take before you die? The Doctor can’t save you this time. In all the universe that you were SO determined to save he didn’t matter, and neither do you. He left you to die.

Peri does not move, struggling to stay defiant as the knife moves towards her throat. The bleeping of the screwdriver is now louder and faster.

“DOCTOR”
Hide your fear all you like, the Doctor’s parting gift shows the truth.

With a laugh, the “Doctor” throws the knife into the wall. The bleeping starts to slow.

“DOCTOR”
Just testing, Miss Brown. The Doctor’s failsafe is what he claimed. I cannot harm you and leave this point in time or space.

He pauses as he spies his reflection in the mirror.

“DOCTOR”
Hmmmm. Could be worse. Such a common face. Not enough aristocracy, but it will serve.

He turns back to face Peri.

“DOCTOR”
Look around, Miss Brown. Take your last look at this wretched hole these animals call home. Do as I say and look at it.

Peri looks around.

PERI
Why?

“DOCTOR”
Because we are leaving.

PERI
We?

“DOCTOR”
You can stay here, of course, but consider the fact you are on the wrong side of the planet - and the wrong side of six decades – to your native time and place. How exactly did you intend to return home without my help?

PERI
You’d do that? Why?

The “Doctor” smiles.

“DOCTOR”
To prove a point. I require the Doctor’s fourth-rate transport to collect my own TARDIS. I am prepared to let you use it next, on a one way trip home.

PERI
How can I know I can trust you?

“DOCTOR”
How indeed?

PERI
You tell me.

“DOCTOR”
You could always stay here. After all, you are in the unique position of knowing when the next world war will break out, and should you survive that, you might live long enough to be a geriatric your family will pass on Miami Beach. That WOULD be ironic, wouldn’t it?

The “Doctor’s” smile fades.

“DOCTOR”
Make your choice.

He turns and leaves.

“DOCTOR”
Sweet dreams are made of these
Who am I to disagree?

Peri looks down at the sprawled, twitching humans. She bends by Maurice, who seems caught in some terrible nightmare.

PERI
I - I’m sorry. I gotta go. I can’t stay, I mean, I want to. I’m sorry. I hope he wasn’t lying, and you’ll come out of this.

She strokes his cheek – the one she kept slapping.

PERI
Please be all right.

She turns and sprints out. None of the others register her leaving.


38. INT. HALLWAY (NIGHT)

The front door is wide open. Peri pauses, looking around the empty place for a moment before running out the front door.


39. EXT. OUTSIDE THE MANOR (NIGHT)

The “Doctor” strides out of the manor and across the gravel towards the edge of the woods. Peri hurries from the house, trying to keep up.

PERI
Wait a minute!

The “Doctor” does not slow down.

PERI
What about that monster out there?

The “Doctor” laughs.

“DOCTOR”
The monster? Miss Brown, the monster is not out here.

He taps his forehead, amused.

“DOCTOR”
It’s in here.

PERI
Yeah, well, that’s a pity, he could have carried us over the river. You smashed the bridge, remember?

“DOCTOR”
There are other paths to take.

They move off into the gloom.


40. EXT. WOODS (NIGHT)

The “Doctor” moves gracefully through the trees and bracken, knowing exactly where he is going. Peri follows with more difficulty.

PERI
I don’t suppose you’ve got a spare torch? It’d be nice to see where we’re going?

“DOCTOR”
Why should I make up for your imperfect eyesight?

They avoid one of the trees the creature overturned.

PERI
How much further?

“DOCTOR”
Patience is a virtue, Miss Brown – but I appreciate the time wasted means more to you. Humans have such limited little lives. A blink of an eye to me would no doubt be the best years of your life.

PERI
Yeah. The best years of my life didn’t include you in them.

“DOCTOR”
And the Doctor? Was he included?

PERI
Yeah. He was.


41. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (NIGHT)

It is light by an unearthly green light. The room is festooned with cobwebs. The Second Ghost leans over the console, as if too tired to straighten up from the readouts. The First Ghost stands in the shadows.

FIRST GHOST
Guilty conscience?

No reply.

FIRST GHOST
You haven’t forgotten about me ALREADY, have you?

SECOND GHOST
You no longer matter, Doctor.

FIRST GHOST
Oh, come on, do you really expect me to believe that? After all we’ve been through? ... Maybe you’re right. You’re just another enemy, Master. I’ve had more than my share of them. It’s not worth caring about.

SECOND GHOST
Such witty banter...

Amused, the Second Ghost straightens up and crosses over to the First Ghost.

SECOND GHOST
You never used your real name, did you?

FIRST GHOST
It’s difficult to pronounce. Even by Gallifreyan standards. The thirty-eighth syllable is the trickiest of the lot.

SECOND GHOST
But that was not the only reason.

FIRST GHOST
I couldn’t go round the universe using that name. The Time Lords would have noticed it. The bunch of stuffed shirts who don’t even know what millennia they were watching. They were looking for the obvious. Its one of the reasons us renegades give up our names. It’s expediency as much as...

SECOND GHOST
Tabula rasa?

FIRST GHOST
Precisely.

SECOND GHOST
So. The fact your real name is hated and feared on so many worlds had nothing to do with it, then?

FIRST GHOST
Whereas “Master” conjures up all sorts of pleasant thoughts, doesn’t it?

SECOND GHOST
Did you tell Miss Brown of your checkered past?

FIRST GHOST
A little.

SECOND GHOST
A select biography, no doubt.

FIRST GHOST
The last time we met you tricked primitive people into shooting down unarmed hostages. I don’t exactly rate your morality a high standard.

SECOND GHOST
All those grand gestures. Saving worlds and cultures and societies... almost as though you were trying to make amends for something. Penance, perhaps, for ancient sins? And you always surrounded yourself with these passionate and innocent companions. Keeping innocence so close to you, as if almost filling a void in your spirit?

FIRST GHOST
What gobbledygook are you sprouting now? You know who I am. And what I’ve done. You were there. You of all people should be able to churn out an unbiased commentary.

SECOND GHOST
Am I? You went out into the universe, left to your own devices for quite a while before we met again. I often wondered what you got up to.

FIRST GHOST
Well, I was discovering that your theory of “situational morality” was arrant nonsense, for a start. Back at the beginning, I should have saved the girl. THAT is the sin I make amends for. The sin of listening to you when I should have done something – regardless of the consequences to myself. Any suffering I caused is because I kept letting you go free. For old time’s sake.

SECOND GHOST
Consequences don’t matter.

FIRST GHOST
So why are worried about me killing you?

SECOND GHOST
I’m not, Doctor. But you were. And that’s why you’re lost.

FIRST GHOST
Is it?

SECOND GHOST
You thought you’re in the wrong. You KNEW you were in the wrong.

FIRST GHOST
I didn’t think so, at the time.

SECOND GHOST
No one ever does, at the time.

FIRST GHOST
I don’t regret it.

SECOND GHOST
And THAT is what really worried you. Look inside yourself, Doctor, and tell me we aren’t the same. Deny it, if you can. We all have a place of darkness, Doctor, and yours is a little closer to the surface in this enfleshment. I saw the anger, the burning rage build inside you. So much more visible in this body. Blame a faulty regeneration, birth trauma, but we both know you are your own man and it’s part of you. No matter how painful that fact is.

FIRST GHOST
More games...

The Second Ghost is getting progressively more upset. The First remains calm.

SECOND GHOST
Games? You denounced my “crimes” and quickly dismiss your own.

FIRST GHOST
I took no pleasure in my “crimes”.

SECOND GHOST
You weren’t quite the hero you’d like to be.

FIRST GHOST
No. I’ve done things I regret and wish I could undo. But does that make me different from anyone else in the universe? Except you, of course. You stopped caring long ago.

SECOND GHOST
If you cared so much, why drag Miss Brown and all of the rest of your motley companions into such danger? You called me mad?

FIRST GHOST
You ARE mad.

SECOND GHOST
Am I?

FIRST GHOST
Totally and utterly.

SECOND GHOST
Your hands weren’t clean.

FIRST GHOST
Not as dirty as yours.

SECOND GHOST
But I won.

FIRST GHOST
So you did. It must be a novel experience for you.

SECOND GHOST
Not for long, Doctor. Not for long. With you out of the way, the universe is mine.

The First Ghost smiles at the Second.

FIRST GHOST
Be careful what you dream of, old friend. Dreams come true.

The Second Ghost looks away. Dissolve to:


42. EXT. WOODS (NIGHT)

The “Doctor” is in the same position. Peri stands a little behind him.

PERI
What’s up?

The “Doctor” shakes his head to clear it.

“DOCTOR”
Nothing. Come. The TARDIS is just down the hill.

They start moving down the hill.

PERI
You’re not exactly your usual suave, urbane self.

The “Doctor” does not reply.

PERI
What are you going to do now, then? Once I've gone home?

“DOCTOR”
You want me to reveal my whole dastardly scheme?

PERI
Well, I could wait for the paperback to come out. What are going to do?

“DOCTOR”
Nothing you could appreciate.

PERI
Try me.

“DOCTOR”
Your brain would not understand how awesome the power that I shall hold.

PERI
And you wonder why you don’t have any friends?

“DOCTOR”
Friends are for those too scared to walk alone. Human frailty. I seek something so much more powerful than that. Nothing will stand in my way. The civilizations of the universe will bow down before the great destiny that awaits them. But my destiny will be greater still. There will be no turning back, no salvation, no defiance.

PERI
Just obeying the Master, huh?

“DOCTOR”
Precisely. Once you have seen what I have seen, Miss Brown, once you have been to Hell you see how much more cruel reality is. The strong prey upon the weak. There is no God that cares for life, no guiding spirit to the universe. Just random, mindless chaos. Chaos that I shall end.

PERI
And replace with what?

“DOCTOR”
Order.

PERI
Order? That’s rich, you’re a monster!

“DOCTOR”
A monster? There are far more horrible things than I in this universe. And each and every one of them will be placed under my power. They will learn to obey. The cosmos is full of sheep who need to be herded as such. All of creation will kneel before its Master.

Smiling, the “Doctor” looks down at Peri.

“DOCTOR”
No doubt you’ve heard it all before.

PERI
Kamelion mentioned some of it. Oh, and this nice guy called Sharaz Jek had ideas in that direction. Plus some giant slugs, Cybermen, oh, and a Time Witch called the Rani. You remember her?

“DOCTOR”
Ah! The Rani! I must renew our acquaintance. A Time Lady of rare guile and devilish cunning. To return to my point, I shall succeed where they failed – and no doubt, they failed?

PERI
Every last one.

“DOCTOR”
The Doctor stopped them with his usual flair?

PERI
Sure did.

“DOCTOR”
But not this time. This time there is no Doctor to stop me. Is there?

Peri looks at him coldly.

PERI
You tell me.

The “Doctor” sneers and moves through some trees. The TARDIS is nearby, its low humming audible against the lonely moan of the wind. The “Doctor” starts patting down his pockets for his key. Peri “ahems” and takes the key chain from his waist coat. The “Doctor” snatches it back, then unlocks the doors. Peri rolls her eyes.


43. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (DAY)

The doors open. The “Doctor” enters with visible distaste, as though the place smells. Peri follows darkly. As the “Doctor” looks around, Peri automatically goes to close the doors when the “Doctor” grabs her hand.

PERI
Hey! I was just going to close the doors!

“DOCTOR”
No need, Miss Brown. I am quite capable of operating this ship on my own. Now keep clear of the controls... or you might be lucky enough to live to regret it.

Peri backs away from the console as the “Doctor” closes the doors and starts adjusting displays with disapproval. He starts tapping out at the computer monitor.

PERI
I thought you might need help. Thanks to your little stunt, all the TARDIS computers need re-calibrating – all the settings are at zero.

“DOCTOR”
Your rudimentary comprehension of the situation is a credit to you, Miss Brown. Now remain silent... This computer system is all in disarray. How did he ever manage to run this antiquated scrap heap?

He punches controls angrilly.

“DOCTOR”
Course update. Earth, the island of Lanzarote, June 20th, 1984. There you can return to your excuse for linear existence.

He grins nastily as he sets the controls.

“DOCTOR”
I don’t intend to return to this backwater again.

PERI
Where will you go instead? Telos should be pretty quiet this time of year, help you with your stress? Or how about a trip back to Sarn, I bet you’d get a great reception there.

“DOCTOR”
Perhaps another time. I was thinking of going home.

PERI
Gallifrey?

“DOCTOR”
You have been paying attention. I have unfinished business with the Time Lords. Yes, Gallifrey is where I shall make my throne. That would be appropriate. With the Time Lords under my control, I will be able to accomplish anything. A new campaign across the cosmos. And it all begins here.

The “Doctor” moves to the dematerialization, then frowns, swallows and blinks. He opens his mouth to speak, then doubles over, gasping. Peri doesn’t move.

PERI
What is it? What’s wrong?

“DOCTOR”
I... I...

He grimaces in pain.

DOCTOR
PERI!

He staggers back.

DOCTOR
Peri! Please! Quickly! Can’t hold him!

PERI
What can I do?

DOCTOR
Quickly! Panel three! Telepathic circuits!

Peri hurries around to the other side of the console. The Doctor slumps against the wall.

DOCTOR
Press the three... three green controls until they light up. Type in... type in the sequence... type it in!

PERI
What sequence?

DOCTOR
Alpha cubed... Sigma times x squared... quickly!

Peri taps at the keyboard furiously. The Doctor stiffens and straightens up.

PERI
Done!

The “Doctor’s” hand slams down on Peri’s shoulder, hauling her away from the console.

PERI
Hey!

“DOCTOR”
Quiet, human.

He peers at the controls.

“DOCTOR”
Well, well, well.

PERI
What?

“DOCTOR”
The Doctor’s last act of defiance. Set the telepathic circuits to scan his brain and remove anything not matching his recorded psychic matrix.

PERI
It’d get rid of you.

“DOCTOR”
It would. Not any more.

The “Doctor” starts operating the controls.

“DOCTOR”
Now, we simply reverse the polarity. Now anything matching the psychic matrix will be removed. You never did understand, Doctor. A pity you went to so much effort for such a small gain. But it’s over now. You broke the agreement and I don’t intend you to survive.

PERI
Don’t. Please.

“DOCTOR”
One last mistake. One mistake too many.

He sighs and speaks quietly.

“DOCTOR”
Goodbye, Doctor.

Peri charges the console. The “Doctor” grabs her and throws her to the floor. He snaps down a control and a shrill beeping fills the air, getting slower and faster randomly. The “Doctor” frowns in concentration, sways, then his eyes snap open, horrified.

“DOCTOR”
No!

Speaking is an effort. The noise gets louder. The “Doctor” cries out in pain.

“DOCTOR”
NO!


44. THE BEYOND (NIGHT)

The Master stands in the realm. He turns to face the Doctor, who is looking further up the tunnel warily.

MASTER
No, you can’t do this!

The Doctor’s eyes flicker to the Master. His voice is icy.

DOCTOR
Watch me.


45. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (NIGHT)

The “Doctor” staggers back, pressing his hands against his ears, writhing in agony.

“DOCTOR”
NO!


46. THE BEYOND (NIGHT)

A breeze is blowing, ruffling their clothes.

DOCTOR
"Dying is an art, like everything else." It's about time you got it right.

MASTER
You can’t kill me! I won’t let you! Not again!

DOCTOR
Consequences don’t matter, remember – this is the one fate we all share.

MASTER
Death? DEATH?

Suddenly, the Master grabs the Doctor’s lapels and shakes him violently.

MASTER
YOU HAVE NOT WON! You will die too, Doctor! Nothing will protect you from me! NOT NOW! NOT ANY MORE!

The Master slams the Doctor against the “wall”.

MASTER
Look into the face of DEATH, my oh-so-rational friend! LOOK AT IT AS WE PLUNGE INTO PERDITION TOGETHER! There is a Hell, Doctor! I’ve seen it! THERE IS A HELL! AND I WILL DRAG YOU THERE IF IT IS THE LAST THING I EVER DO!

The Doctor shrugs him off.

DOCTOR
Then you're going to be VERY disappointed!


47. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (NIGHT)

The Doctor continues to convulse, screaming.

“DOCTOR”
Pray that I die, Doctor! PRAY THAT I DIE!

Peri watches on in horror.


48. THE BEYOND

The Doctor shoves past the Master. The tunnel is filling with light. The Master stares at the building glare with horror.

MASTER
Because if I don’t, there isn’t ANYWHERE in the universe where you can be safe from me!

Whiteout.


49. INT. TARDIS CONTROL ROOM (DAY)

The pulsing ends. The Doctor falls back against the wall and slides roughly to the ground, face screwed up in pain. He shudders and convulses. Peri stays where she is, clutching the sonic screwdriver. The Doctor, panting and exhausted, groans.

DOCTOR
For old, unhappy, far-off things. And battles long ago.

The Doctor opens his eyes.

DOCTOR
The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones. The Master hasn’t left this life forgotten. Much good that will do.

PERI
Doctor?

DOCTOR
You were expecting someone else?

PERI
How do I know it’s really you?

The Doctor blows out his cheeks and shrugs.

DOCTOR
He walked by himself and all places were alike to him?

PERI
You're not dead.

DOCTOR
No.

Peri gives a little cry of happiness and hugs him hard. He winces, makes a pained face.

DOCTOR
However, I am VERY sore.

Peri lets him go.

PERI
How come you’re still alive?

DOCTOR
Because I lied, Peri. When you pre-set the telepathic circuits, you were really setting them to eliminate me. So when the Master reversed the setting...

Peri sighs in relief as she understands.

PERI
He erased himself.

The Doctor takes the sonic screwdriver from her hand and starts tinkering with it.

DOCTOR
Yes. No more clever escapes, clever words, or clever traps... No more awakenings. No more pain. He really IS dead this time. Universe seems a bit smaller, somehow.

PERI
Are you going to be all right?

DOCTOR
Just a blinding headache. You?

PERI
Scared out of my wits.

DOCTOR
Back to normal then.

She playfully punches him. He winces. Peri sobers slightly.

PERI
What do we do now?

DOCTOR
Well, the Master was going to rendezvous with his TARDIS. Might as well send the poor thing back home. The Time Lords can always do with a spare. And that should allow our TARDIS time to recalibrate from all the strain of sorting things out. Besides, we better see how they’re getting on up at the manor.

The Doctor rises, then stumbles. Peri catches him.

DOCTOR
Thank you.

He reaches out and pulls the door lever. The doors open.

PERI
So he’s really gone for good this time?

DOCTOR
Forever.

He doesn’t sound happy.

DOCTOR
Pity. But the universe is still here, and it’s a wonderful place. Shall we explore it?

Peri nods and together they leave.


50. EXT. MEADOW (DAY)

The Doctor and Peri emerge from the TARDIS. The sun is rising in a clear blue sky, illuminating the surrounding woodlands. It is not the skeletal place of shadows before, and we can now see the verdant flora. Flowers are blooming, trees are swaying in the breeze. Birds are singing. Even the swamp looks more like a pleasant river. They look around, almost in wonder seeing what the woods look like in daylight.

Dissolve to:


51. INT. SALOON (DAY)

Sunlight streams in through the windows. Daniel’s peaceful face is caught in the sunlight. Standing nearby is Maurice, holding Tracey who is crying loudly. Emily gently covers Daniel with a blanket.


52. EXT. OUTSIDE THE MANOR (DAY)

Theo stumbles slightly as he moves down the steps, blinking in the sunlight. He lets out a deep sigh and takes the vial from his pocket. With a sudden violence, he hurls it at the gravel, shattering it and spilling its contents.


53. INT. HALLWAY (DAY)

Emily crosses over to where Pascoe is sprawled. She holds out her hand. Pascoe looks at her suspiciously, but takes her hand and manages to stand up. They exchange small smiles, as she puts his arm around her shoulders to support him. They gently move away.


54. INT. SALOON (DAY)

Maurice continues to hold Tracey, and is now crying himself.


55. EXT. OUTSIDE THE MANSION (DAY)

Theo, looking depressed, turns and realizes the Colonel is standing in the doorway, watching him, without expression. Then he smiles and stands to one side, indicating Theo should come back inside. Theo smiles gratefully and then enters.


56. EXT. MEADOW (DAY)

The duo stand a little further away from the TARDIS. The Doctor’s expression is thoughtful, then slightly sad. A hand touches his shoulder. Not startled, he looks down at Peri, smiles and puts his hand over hers. They walk forward, content and relaxed down the hill. It's wonderful. We watch them walk off after a moment, then...

(END OF THE ENEMY WITHIN)
(NEXT EPISODE: IN THE BEGINNING...)
(ROLL END CREDITS)


DOCTOR WHO
THE ENEMY WITHIN


THE DOCTOR Colin Baker
PERI Nicola Bryant
THE MASTER Anthony Ainley
THE COLONEL Michael Sheard
DANIEL Mark Elliot
MAURICE James Harvey
THEODORE Jon Wyman
TRACEY Carol Hawkins
EMILY Sally Harrison
PASCOE Dicken Ashworth
and
David Banks and Gavin Richards
THE GHOSTS

Written by EWEN CAMPION-CLARKE
Based on ideas by ROBERT HOLMES and JOSEPH LIDSTER

No comments: