Friday, May 25, 2007

C - Day VIII


33. INT. POLLY’S FLAT (NIGHT)

Polly and Ben are sitting on the sofa, drinking tea. The Doctor is pacing. He glances at an art deco wall clock.

DOCTOR
Just gone two. Still no sign of Dodo. You’re sure she’s got the right address?

POLLY
Quite sure. Maybe she’s gone somewhere else. Where we are staying at the moment?

DOCTOR
Oh, a little er, bed sit. Just off Fitzroy Square. Perhaps I should check there but...

Angrily, he bangs his fists together.

DOCTOR
Dodo has my key!

BEN
Maybe we could get the police to help? Retrace her steps, that sort of thing.

POLLY
I don’t think Kitty would like the police around the Inferno. Their license is, a bit, well, delicate at the moment.

DOCTOR
But we must do something!

POLLY
We could phone the hospitals maybe?

BEN
What for?

POLLY
If she’s had an accident...

BEN
Oh, a regular little ray of sunshine ain't ya?!

The Doctor slumps down on the sofa beside Ben, looking exhausted.

POLLY
Well look, it's better than just sitting around here on our backsides doing nothing!

She rises and crosses to the phone. She picks up a phone book and flips through it.

POLLY
What's her surname?

DOCTOR
Oh, Chaplet. Dodo Chaplet.

POLLY
I wonder which the nearest will be?

A rasping doorbell buzzes. They all look up.

POLLY
Typical, I bet that’s her.

BEN
See? Told you there was nothing to worry about.

Polly hurries out. The Doctor blows out his cheeks

DOCTOR
I hope she didn’t take it to heart.

BEN
What?

DOCTOR
I remember, telling her she would have to leave. Nonsense, an old man rambling. I do wish she was here. She’s a source of strength to me, so vibrant and enduring.

BEN
Don’t worry, Doctor, here she comes.

Polly re enters with Kitty.

POLLY
Sorry, fellas, false alarm.

BEN
Ere, Kitty, what are you doing here?

KITTY
I’ve come to see the Doctor.

The Doctor looks sharply at her.

DOCTOR
Have you? Have you indeed?

BEN
What is it? Have you seen Dodo?

Kitty continues to stare at the Doctor as he stiffly rises.

KITTY
Doctor, you must come with me.

DOCTOR
Must I? Why?

KITTY
Phase three has begun and all threats must be eradicated.

DOCTOR
Must they? And I suppose I am a threat?

KITTY
You must come with me.

DOCTOR
A threat to whom?

Polly eyes the zombified Kitty, worried.

POLLY
Doctor...

DOCTOR
To whom, young woman? ODIN, perhaps?

Kitty grabs the Doctor, who tries to fend her off to absolutely no success.

BEN
Hey, leave him alone, Kitty!

Ben tries to pull her free from the Doctor, but she refuses to let go and steers him over to the stairwell. The Doctor cries out in pain, unable to stop her.

KITTY
All threats to the operation must be eradicated!

POLLY
Ben, do something!

Ben grimly uses all his strength on Kitty – but his look of distaste changes to horror when he realizes she’s far stronger than he is. Without taking her eyes off the Doctor, she slams her right fist backwards up into Ben’s face, knocking him back. He falls onto Polly, knocking her over as she tries to hurl the Doctor down the stairs.

DOCTOR
You’ve been hypnotized!

KITTY
All threats must be eradicated!

DOCTOR
But I am not a threat! I’m just a harmless old man, I can prove it!

He groans and manages to haul one arm free and raises a fist – but not to strike Kitty, but to show off the blue ring on his finger.

DOCTOR
Look!

Kitty continues to try and throw the Doctor through the doorway.

DOCTOR
Look, my child! Look into the ring! Just a, such a pretty blue stone. Look at it!

Kitty does so. She stops trying to hurl the Doctor, and he speaks calmer.

DOCTOR
A precious blue stone given to me when I came of age. What do you think of it, my dear? Look closely at it. Look deep into it. Now, ODIN told you to eradicate me as a threat. But I’m not a threat, am I? How could I threaten anyone? ODIN is wrong about me. What he told you to do was wrong?

Kitty frowns, as if trying to concentrate.

KITTY
Instructions will... will... be carried... out.

DOCTOR
Your instructions are wrong, Kitty.

Ben and Polly are getting to their feet. Ben has a bloody nose.

DOCTOR
Kitty. A strange name. A bit like Dodo. Do you know where she is?

KITTY
W... warehouse. ODIN... I must obey.

Her voice is harder. She slams the Doctor into the doorframe and he crimes out.

DOCTOR
Must you? What is your real name, hmmm? Kitty?

Kitty looks uncertain again.

KITTY
Christine... Saunders.

DOCTOR
Yes. You are Christine Saunders, aren’t you?

The Doctor pulls off his ring and waves it in front of her eyes.

DOCTOR
No one else would be interested in something so, so fab, hmm? Your name is Kitty Saunders, isn’t it? Kitty Saunders. Say it?

KITTY
My name is Kitty Saunders.

DOCTOR
And you resist ALL attempts to change you into someone else.

KITTY
I...

The Doctor moves the ring back and forth before her eyes. She is mesmerized.

DOCTOR
You resist.

KITTY
I resist all attempts to change me into somebody else.

DOCTOR
Yes. Let go of me, please.

Kitty does so.

DOCTOR
Now, I'm going to start counting. And when I've counted up to a hundred you will be fast asleep. Now I'm going to start counting. Just look at that ring on my hand.

He moves it before her eyes.

DOCTOR
One. Two. Skip a few. Ninety-nine. One hundred.

Her eyes flutter and close. She sways and Polly and Ben manage to catch her and the Doctor slumps back against the wall.

POLLY
How did you do that?

DOCTOR
Oh, never mind, never mind. Put her to bed, Polly. She needs lots of sleep and peace and quiet for her, do you understand?

POLLY
Yes, Doctor. Are you sure she's alright?

DOCTOR
Oh yes, she's alright.

Polly steers Kitty onto the couch and lies her down. The Doctor grimaces.

BEN
Let me help you.

The Doctor growls in pain.

DOCTOR
I am not incapable and I’m not a fool! I simply need... need time.

He manages to straighten up.

DOCTOR
I’m not as feeble as I, hmm, uh, appear. No, there’s a puzzle to ponder, a problem to solve, a, a focus for failing energies.

BEN
She just tried to kill you.

DOCTOR
Yes. Someone, something broke down the walls of her mind and ordered her to do that. Luckily, the walls were still down and I was able to order her not to and then, then rebuild the walls.

BEN
But who did it?

DOCTOR
ODIN.

POLLY
A computer? How can a computer hypnotize anyone?

DOCTOR
I’m not certain. Some kind of artificial force, irresistibly subsuming the personality. A signal of some kind, a wave of corruption. I said, didn’t I, that ODIN recruits people. Once that is done, the machine intellect takes over completely, swallowing their minds like drops into an ocean. Thankfully, it was a very brief and minor effect on poor Kitty there. She should recover. But what about the others?

BEN
Others?

DOCTOR
I hardly think the most powerful computer on the entire planet will confine itself to taking over the owner of a night club... I must be slipping. The warehouse! Kitty said Dodo was at the warehouse!

Ben and Polly’s eyes widen at the implication.


34. INT. WAREHOUSE (NIGHT)

Dodo is no longer present. The workers have suspended the casing above the pit by chains. Tom and Wallis are installing the computer into the framework. Rich watches on, emotionless. Wallis steps back.

WALLIS
Circuit integration now complete.

TOM
Activate.

The whirring noise begins again, now louder. The antenna at the top of the casing begins to revolve in time with the noise.

WALLIS
The internal computer is now receiving information from all sensors. Computer is now establishing a direct link with ODIN itself.

A crackle of static and then a voice is heard. It is not the same as ODIN’s, but treated very similarly. Lights begin to flash and the reels of tape start to spin.

THOR
I... live. This... unit designated... Thor. I am Thor. Thor lives.


35. EXT. LONDON SKYLINE (NIGHT)

Dawn is starting to approach, silhouetting the Tower.


36. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (NIGHT)

Krimpton and Brett are working on a new computer. They are breathing heavily now, showing faint signs of fatigue. ODIN’s lamp glows brighter.

ODIN
Direct link established to War Machine computer designated Thor. Phase Three is shall now be completed.


37. EXT. STREET (NIGHT)

The Doctor and Ben emerge from the flat. Polly stays in the doorway.

DOCTOR
Now, if we find Dodo, we’ll ring you up and tell you what’s happening.

POLLY
You sure you’ll be all right?

The Doctor glares haughtily at her.

DOCTOR
My health has never been an issue, my dear.

BEN
I think she means any more brainwashed thugs, Doctor.

DOCTOR
Hmph. Well, that is where you come in. Polly, you stay here in case she comes back.

POLLY
How will I contact you?

DOCTOR
Ah. You don’t have those, er, those portable telecoms at the moment, do you?

BEN
Portable what?

DOCTOR
Yes, I thought so. A pity, they’re very handy. If we don’t find her in a few hours, we will contact the police and ring you from there.

POLLY
All right. Try not to get Kitty in trouble.

DOCTOR
I believe the Inferno’s license is the least of our worries. ODIN is up to something and the sooner we find out what, the faster we can deal with it.

BEN
Yeah, get some rest, Duchess.

POLLY
Will you be all right, Ben?

BEN
I can do for a while without kip. Don’t worry, we’ll find Dodo, tell the old bill about the super computer and I’m back off to the services club for a nap.

POLLY
Oh, well...

The Doctor fidgets impatiently.

DOCTOR
Yes, yes, Miss Wright?

POLLY
We’ll keep in touch. I'll stand you lunch!

BEN
Yeah, yeah alright. But I'm no Deb's Delight you know!

POLLY
I can see that!

BEN
Yeah well...

POLLY
That’s a good thing. I can’t stand Deb’s Delights!

DOCTOR
And I can’t stand shilly-shallying! You two can canoodle later, surely?

Ben and Polly look at the ground, embarrassed.

POLLY
Sorry, Doctor.

DOCTOR
Never mind, child. There’s hope for us all. But we must find Dodo!

The Doctor hurries off, dragging Ben by the arm.

BEN
See ya later, Duchess!

Polly grins and waves.

POLLY
Aye, aye, sailor!


38. INT. WAREHOUSE (NIGHT)

As before. The lens on the front of the casing has now lit up green.

THOR
Status of the Doctor’s secretary?

TOM
She should be arriving at the Tower now. What is to be done with her companion?

THOR
Recognize Richard Palis.

Rich steps forward and is bathed in the green glow.


39. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (NIGHT)

ODIN whirs.

ODIN
Analysis indicates he has no particular skills or abilities. Threat rating nil.

BRETT
We need to fit and test the destructive weapons on the War Machine.

Krimpton looks up from his work. We see how exhausted and pale he looks. Bruises are forming on his cheeks.

KRIMPTON
The ultimate alteration of mankind is the operation’s aim. Loss of life must therefore be kept at a minimum.

ODIN
Resistance will be easier to overcome once it is established the War Machines can use lethal force. Proceed with testing. Human Richard Palis shall be the target.


40. INT. WAREHOUSE (NIGHT)

Two rifle-like tubes emerge from the casing, ending in pointed spearhead-shaped eggwhisk-style frameworks. The workers and technicians abandon their work in silence and move away, as do Tom and Wallis. Rich stays where he is.

THOR
Priming weaponry to fatal. Bearing fifty two. Distance check: thirty feet. Elevation: five feet. Aiming. Fire.

Rich remains still as the two tubes are adjusted, and then two violent jets of gas are blasted out of the tubes in unison. The gas cloud engulfs Rich, who sways, gasps and chokes. Suddenly he looks afraid and claws at his throat, and gets out a gargling scream before falling heavily to the ground. A final spasm, and he goes limp. The gas has already cleared. Rich’s wide eyes stare up at the roof. Hedgehoppers’ Anonymous Good News Week begins to play.

THOR
Test satisfactory. Effective at thirty five feet. Begin work on the remaining War Machines at once. Complete construction of this unit.

The workers return and continue unpacking boxes, piling up others and dragging away Rich’s body.

“It's good news week,
Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere,
Contaminating atmosphere
And blackening the sky,”

Tom and Wallis supervise the main casing to be lowered into the pit, as it continues to buzz all the time.

“It's good news week,
Someone’s found a way to give,
The rotting dead a will to live,
Go on and never die.”


41. EXT. MONTAGE (DAY)

We see Battersea Power-Station busily churning out mountains of rich white smoke as dawn rises. Boats move on the River Thames.

“It's good news week.
Lots of blood in Asia now,
They've butchered off the sacred cow.
They've got a lot to eat.”

A plane heads into land at the airport. Buses cross London bridge. The Post Office Tower is silhouetted against the sunshine.

“It's good news week,
Families shake the need for gold,
By stimulating birth control,
We're wanting less to eat.”

A POLICEMAN pauses, puzzled by a police box with a sign made seven years in the future. An aerial view of Covent Garden rooftops.


42. INT. COVENT GARDEN (DAY)

It is still early morning. A few fruit and vegetable MERCHANTS are arriving. The Doctor and Ben watch as one wheels past a trolley carrying sacks of potatoes.

“It's good news week,
Doctors finding many ways,
Of wrapping brains in metal trays,
To keep us from the heat.”
BEN
You really think we can find her, sir? The place is vast.

DOCTOR
There are few other people in the area.

BEN
In a couple of hours, this place will be crawling with people.

DOCTOR
Then we best search while we can. The Inferno is just around the corner.

Absently, he scratches the back of his hands, then looks at them suspiciously.

BEN
What is it?

DOCTOR
Look at my skin! Look at that! I've got that prickling sensation again, the same... just as I had when I saw the Daleks... those Daleks were near!

He looks around in sudden paranoia.

BEN
“Daleks”? Who are they?

He glances at Ben, annoyed and confused.

DOCTOR
The Daleks! Oh. Er, yes of course you er, you didn't meet them did you, Ben? No, and I pray that you never will! No. The Daleks can’t be in London, 1966. It’s ridiculous.

Ben is lost.

BEN
...Why?

DOCTOR
Because if they were, my boy, there wouldn’t be a living thing left alive! No. This problem has nothing to do with Daleks, I’m certain. Yet, this all seems very familiar. The pattern of events suggests... suggests... Oh, if only I could remember...

BEN
Remember what?

DOCTOR
I forget. Disturbing. Most disturbing.

They move back down a side street, avoiding several merchants. The Doctor, apparently out of breath, pauses by a wall. Ben stops and hurries over to him. The Doctor fumbles in his pockets and pulls out a tumber of pills, like tic tacs.

BEN
You sure you’re all right?

DOCTOR
Yes, yes, Ben. It comes and goes.

He takes a pill.

BEN
What are those?

DOCTOR
D403 capsules. They are revitalizing agents. Just recently, I suffered... a rather draining experience. It’s like a dark rot in these old bones, a weakness eating away at my soul. These help combat it.

He is already sounding and looking healthier.

BEN
How many of those pills do you have?

The Doctor pockets the tumbler, scowling.

DOCTOR
Not enough.

BEN
And when they run out?

DOCTOR
I don’t know. But hopefully, I will cleanse myself. Be a better person. Come on.

They turn a corner and nearly step on the huddled figure of the tramp, who looks up at them and screams in terror, before starting to run off.


43. INT. POLLY’S FLAT (DAY)

Polly is dozing in a chair when the phone rings. Blinking awake, she gets up and picks up the phone.

POLLY
Hello?

Suddenly she stiffens and jerks, trying to pull the phone away from her, but seems unable to. She convulses again, crying out with pain.

POLLY
H... HELP--

Kitty is still fast asleep and understandably does nothing. Polly’s struggles end and she holds the phone closer to her ear. There is no emotion in her voice as she speaks.

POLLY
Yes. I understand.

She puts down the phone. We now see her eyes are wide and unblinking.


43. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (NIGHT)

As before.

ODIN
Establishing secure, super-luminal channel to Mondas Control.

All the other computer banks power down. The workers and scientists continue working, ignoring it.

ODIN
Contact established.

A metallic, flat voice crackles faintly over the speakers.

CONTROLLER (VO)
REPORT.

ODINPhase One is complete. Construction of compatible Mondan technology on Earth has been achieved. Phase Two is complete. Thought control of select human beings has been achieved. Phase Three is underway. Commandeering native war machine program to secure the immediate continent.

CONTROLLER (VO)YOU HAVE ACHIEVED WORLD WIDE NETWORK?

ODINIrregularities outside all previous safety parameters require new strategy.

CONTROLLER (VO)EXPLAIN.

ODINThis city shall be brought under computer control. All forces will be used to maximum efficiency to prepare for worldwide network. Therefore, phase six is to be brought forward as priority.

CONTROLLER (VO)DETAILS OF CYBERNETIC ALTERATIONS ARE NOW BEING TRANSMITTED. ALL SUITABLE HUMANS SHALL BE ALTERED AS SOON AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO SO. HUMANITY AS A SPECIES MUST BE TOTALLY TRANSFORMED BEFORE OUR ARRIVAL.

ODINPhase Six will be prepared.

CONTROLLER (VO)SATISFACTORY. REPORT AGAIN AFTER PHASE THREE. INITIATE PHASE SIX. TERMINATE TRANSMISSION. MONDAS CONTROL OUT.

Silence. The other computer banks come to life. Printers begin to chatter. Brett crosses over to them. The bruises on his face are worse. His hands are very skeletal now.

BRETT
Analyzing all data. Prosthetics... cybernetic outlines...

ODINA test organism will be required.

KRIMPTONAll current workers have their duties at the warehouse and elsewhere.

ODINNew recruits will therefore be required.

Brett hands the print out to Krimpton. It features a detailed outline of a human being, but is overlaid with cables and circuits. Alien symbols are printed beside the outline.
ODINPrepare and construct suitable central processing units for installation and conversion.


44. EXT. OUTSIDE THE WAREHOUSE (DAY)
The Doctor and Ben are helping the tramp to his feet. Immediately he tries to break for it. Ben holds him where he is.

BEN
Hey, hang on a sec...

TRAMPLeave me alone! Leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone...

DOCTORWe aren’t going to harm you! Now calm down, before you do yourself some mischief.

TRAMPI haven’t hurt anyone! I’m harmless sport, reliable Rob, they call me. Please, let me go.

The Doctor frowns and peers at him.
DOCTORWait a minute. I know you.

TRAMPI never saw a thing. I won’t tell anyone.

BENTell anyone what?

TRAMPPlease...

The Doctor stares deeply at the tramp. He speaks soothingly. The tramp starts to relax.
DOCTORListen, young man. Listen. We met yesterday. Near Fitzroy Square. Yes, you were in a taxi. My friend, Dodo, paid for it. She paid for you and the last time I saw you was with her. Is that not so?

TRAMPI never touched her...

DOCTORI know you didn’t. I saw her in the Inferno, she was fine.

TRAMPThe Inferno? How’d you get in?

DOCTOR
Never mind that. Afterwards, late last night, Dodo was around here. Did you see her again afterwards? Please, this is imperative.

The tramp looks ill.

TRAMP
I tried to stop her. I swear I did.

BENStop her doing what?

TRAMPI heard her screaming.

DOCTORScreaming? What happened to her? Tell me!

TRAMPI don’t know! I just heard her scream. She and her fancy man went into the warehouse, I begged them not to, I pleaded with them! They went in and I... she... screamed...

The Doctor swallows, his face grave. He looks ill and tired again.

45. INT. SUMMER’S OFFICE (DAY)
An ornate office with decorated walls. SIR CHARLES SUMMER is sitting down at his desk in his comfortable chair. A copy of the Times in his hand as he pours himself up a cup of coffee. Morning sunshine streams through the window. His telephone rings. He answers it.

SUMMER
Summer? ...Who? A journalist? At this hour? Oh, very well.

He hangs up and sips his cup, expression sour.
SUMMERHonestly, as if I don’t have enough to worry about.

The door is opened by a male SECRETARY. Stone enters.
STONESorry about the early start, Sir Charles, but time is pressing.

Summer sighs wearily.
SUMMERMr. Stone.

STONENice place you got here. Looks like this place is made of cake, all the greeny-blue and white piping everywhere. And I’ve nearly gone deaf what with all these shelves creaking under the weight of your stuff. And the books? Bit antiquarian, huh, now that the computer age has officially started?

Summer sips his coffee and glares at the American.
SUMMERHow can I help you?

STONEIt’s about ODIN.

SUMMERYes. Something you missed at the briefing, no doubt? If you had been paying attention rather than shouting luddite propaganda...

STONEOh I sure ain’t a luddite, Sir Charles. And I ain’t stupid either.

SUMMERI’ll take your word for it.

STONEThen you can take my word for this. My country isn’t as behind the times as you made out yesterday. There are people working on something very much like ODIN. Their own computer to run the military campaign against the Russians. It’ll coordinate and control all the missiles, all the submarines, all faster than anyone else.

SUMMERNo doubt. And no doubt the Soviets are working on the same idea.

STONEEVERYONE is working on the same damn idea. And the English built it first.

SUMMERColonial envy, I think is the term.

STONEEnvy. Yeah. Whatever helps you sleep at night, Sir Charles.

SUMMERI sleep at night quite well, Mr. Stone. You Americans can think up all sorts of uses for a machine like ODIN – so could any of the most backward school children! But you aren’t ANYWHERE near ODIN and neither are the Russians. England has made its mark in history. ODIN does not just mimic basic human thought processes, it supercedes them.

STONEIt really does think for itself? It’s just hype?

SUMMERIt’s living. Intelligent. More than I can say for you!

STONEAnd just how did you manage that?

SUMMERYou think I’d tell you? C-Day is the bastion for unprecedented international cooperation. ODIN will end all national borders. All countries that use its power will be united, conforming to a single all-purpose society.

STONENazis, I should have known.

SUMMERDon’t be so infantile. None shall be persecuted by class or, or colour or religion.

STONECommunist, then?

SUMMERYou’re deliberately twisting my words.

STONEThen start telling me the truth. You go on and on about how clever you Brits are. So go on. Enlighten me. Who first had the idea of ODIN? Where’s the prototype? The published theories? The wrinkles that had to be ironed out?

Summer pours himself another cup of coffee.
SUMMERAll relevant information is contained in the press release...

STONEIt’s relevant to me! So tell me. Why hide all that? Maybe because, ooh, I don’t know... because there is none to give us. That Brett and the others just got up one day and built ODIN. Divine intervention? Was it the god Odin inspiring them, maybe? Or someone else?

Summer is thoroughly subdued.
SUMMERI must apologize, Mr. Stone. You’re far more astute than I gave you credit for.

STONEWho is it?

SUMMERHmm?

STONEThe silent partner. The guys that actually designed ODIN. The ones that want the Brits to take the credit for ODIN if it all goes wrong... or, if it all goes right, the ones everyone will be watching when they get free samples of the most advanced technology on this entire planet?

SUMMERNot so astute, then.

STONEOK. I got a nudge in the right direction.

SUMMERWho was that then?

STONENever got his name. He’s a friend of Jimmy’s.

SUMMERIt doesn’t matter. But you must realize that these people... SHOULD they exist... are very, very powerful. My career will not be worth much. I suggest you take the matter up with them. If you’re truly prepared to go through with this.

STONE
It’s my job to get to the truth.

SUMMERAt any cost.

STONEI’ll hear the price before I buy.

SUMMERYou might not get a choice.

STONEVery cryptic as this is, get on with it.

SUMMERYou really expect to allowed to print?

STONENo, I expect to get paid a small, no, no, a large fortune to stay silent.

SUMMERHow... American.

He picks up the phone.
SUMMERAh, Bunny, can you... He’s outside? Major Green? Well, send him in. Good grief man, what is it? Pull yourself together, you sound like...

The doors are pushes open, near silently. Frowning, Stone turns to face them. It is Green. The bruises on his face are now vividly outlining his skull, as if his flesh is turning transparent. His gait is even stiffer than before, his wide, staring eyes looking down at duo. Summer nearly drops his coffee.
SUMMERMajor Green... what’s happened to you?

He lumbers towards them.
STONEIt’s a bit early for Halloween, pal. Is this the guy I need to meet?

Summer stares at the newcomer, realizing something is very, very wrong.

SUMMER
Yes. Major Green... what’s going on?

Green twists his face to stare at Summer. His voice is throaty, harsh.
MAJOR GREENThe day... of reckoning... has... arrived...

STONERiiiiiight.

Stone stands up.
STONEI know everything. Everything relevant – and interesting. And if you don’t want me to spread the word, I would like to be very much worth my while. Do you understand?

Silence. Green isn’t breathing.
STONENutjobs. I ask you, wh--

Without changing expression, Green punches Stone so powerfully he flies across the room. Summer backs away, horrified as Green advances. Summer scrambles over to the fireplace, rips a poker out of its tray and swings it at Green. He catches it effortlessly in a skeletal hand, reaches out with the other and grips Summer’s upper arm. Summer gasps, then howls with pain, unable to hold the poker. Green impassively squeezes tighter and Summer screams loudly. Green releases the old bureaucrat who falls heavily and screams again. Stone manages to stagger to his feet and Green turns to face him. Stone charges him and Green grabs Stone’s arm, twisting it. Stone stumbles, his arm wrenched behind his back. He falls to his knees, gasping with pain.

MAJOR GREEN
Resistance... is... futile.

Green grabs Stone by the back of the neck and lifts him up into the air before flinging him across the room with no real effort. Stone groans and falls unconscious.


46. EXT. OUTSIDE THE WAREHOUSE (DAY)
Distant sounds of hawkers can be heard. The Doctor is standing, hands on lapels, deep in thought. Ben is keeping a close eye on the tramp, who is awkwardly shifting through some debris in the gutter.
BENWhere’s the door?

TRAMPIt’s just there, isn’t it?

The Doctor scrutinizes the door.
DOCTORYes. They’ve painted out the number.

BENWhy do that?

DOCTORYou automatically look for the number and therefore the door. A crude method of obsfu... of deceit. Any passer by would not notice. Wait a moment...

The Doctor, with difficulty, stoops forward to pick up a piece of metal.
BEN
What is it?

DOCTORThe key.

BENTo the door?

DOCTORNo, to the TARDIS. Dodo was here. And she must have dropped this as a clue. Or maybe just clumsiness, but it is absolute proof she entered this warehouse!

He rises, putting a hand on the door to steady himself. It creaks open. The tramp manages to grab the Doctor before he falls over. The old man shakes him off.
DOCTORI’m not a half-wit! Well... either these people are incredibility ineffective or it is an effective invitation. Yes. Now be ready.

TRAMPFor what?

DOCTORIf I knew you wouldn’t have to be ready. But there is something new here... something deadly. We’re about to enter a hornet’s nest.

He catches their anxious expressions.
DOCTOROh, cheer up, my friends, cheer up! It’s not every day we get to do things like this. Come on, come along...

He enters the warehouse. Ben nudges the tramp and he meekly follows.

47. INT. WAREHOUSE (DAY)
The Doctor cautiously moves through the gloomy, silent interior. The others follow.
BENWell, there’s no sign of anyone now. Maybe there never was.

The Doctor glares at the tramp.
DOCTORMy man, if this some kind of amusement, I shall take a dim view of it, a very dim view indeed, yes. Dodo? Dodo, where are you?

TRAMPShove a cork in it! You want them to know you’re here?

DOCTORIf they have access to ODIN’s technology they have been aware of our presence since we arrived. They’ve obviously just moved on – if they were ever here.

The Doctor hurries down a corridor formed of stacked crates. It is very dark and gloomy. Ben follows the Doctor and the tramp fearfully brings up the rear.
TRAMPYou don’t know what it was like, mate. They’re... they’re the living dead! You can’t reason with them, we’ve got to go while we can.

BENThen go. You’re not exactly helping, are you?

TRAMPOn my own? You’re joking!

DOCTORThen stay with us, and shut up, there’s a good fellow.

They move further down the passage. Suddenly Ben tenses.
BENDoctor.

DOCTORHmm?

BENDid you hear something?

The Doctor is thoughtful.
DOCTORNo. No, I don’t think so. What do you think it was?

The tramp gnaws at his thumb.
TRAMPThey could be all around us right now.

DOCTOROh, you’re letting your imaginings run away with themselves. There’s nothing to fear.

Rapidly an electronic pulsing noise becomes heard, getting louder and louder. The benevolent smile drips from the Doctor’s face as the noise grows closer.
DOCTORExcept, perhaps, the source of that sound.

They turn and look at the stack of boxes back down the passage they have travelled. Suddenly, there is a massive crashing sound as the crates are smashed apart and knocked aside by huge metal mallets. The Doctor grabs the tramp, stopping him from running. He and Ben stare at the two mallet-like arms that swing up and down, ripping the last boxes apart to clear an entrance. The noise is much louder. We finally see the completed War Machine as it glides forward, blocking the way they came.

It is a huge squared-off tank-shape with Perspex sides containing the computers the zombies were working on. The front of the machine is like an iron-riveted pillbox with two winking light set at the top and the bottom. There is a long horizontal strip and below it a glowing red lamp in a protective bubble - identical to the one on ODIN. The mallet-like arms lower back into their slots, showing off two flexible pipe-like weapons mounted on either side of the machine. Finally, it moves on a caterpillar-like trap that allows it great maneuverability. The rotating antennae is on its top. THOR is printed on the top of the machine above the strip.

BEN
Doctor...

DOCTORI know.

The War Machine trundles forward towards them. Its red camera lens swivels about, and the two guns are aimed at the trio.

THOR
All threats are to be eradicated. Eradicated. Eradicated.

The Doctor, Ben and the Tramp run up the corridor as fast as they can. The War Machine motors into life and glides after them.

THOR
North Section of warehouse - bearing two seven zero degrees.

BENCome on, quick! Around here!

The trio come to a halt by a wall of impenetrable boxes. They can either go left or right. The War Machine bears down on them.

THOR
All threats are to be eradicated.

The tramp runs to the right but skids to an immediate halt. Lurching around the corner ahead is a second War Machine, raising its arms in threat. It is marked BALDUR. The Doctor and Ben look to the left. Another War Machine is heading straight for them – its designation is VALI. They are trapped, caught in the harsh red spotlights of the three War Machines. The whirring noise grows louder.

(ROLL END CREDITS)
(END OF EPISODE TWO)

No comments: