Friday, May 25, 2007

C - Day III

15. INT. INFERNO (DAY)

As before – though Substitute is playing in the background. Kitty and Polly are regarding Ben, who stares mournfully into his glass.

KITTY
You see he's no great advertisement for the most "with it" place in town is he? Couldn't you cheer him up just a little?

Polly mulls it over. Meanwhile, Dodo and Rich are talking.

DODO
...but when you said the Inferno was “without doubt” the hottest spot in town, I was expecting something else.

RICH
What do you mean?

DODO
Well, all the African masks are cheap fakes for one thing. There’s only a disappointingly small selection of pop and some straws – not even a bar. There’s only Vimto.

RICH
Oh, Dorothea – where was the last club you were at then?

DODO
Last Chance Saloon, Arizona, actually.

RICH
Oh, dear, we are a little globe trotter, aren’t we? You’re right though – but it’s the whole amateur vibe that makes this place famous. Working class kids make good, that sort of thing. Plus with Covent Garden around the corner, they can get their shopping done on the way home. So just what have you been doing then? I mean, your Aunt listed you as a missing person. Didn’t do much else besides, of course.

DODO
She didn’t miss me, then?

RICH
If letting out your room counts as grief, she was hysterical.

DODO
The old trout! I bet she sold my things too!

RICH
Nah, she’d have burned them out the back to save on heating. You didn’t answer my question though. Where’ve ya been?

At the bar, Polly finally nods, cheered up.

POLLY
All right Kitty, leave it to me. Stand by though, looks like a rescue mission - the Navy's in trouble!

Polly moves down the bar to sit next to Ben.

POLLY
Well, hello! We met the other night - remember?

Ben glances up at her, his surprise at her presence melting back to misery.

BEN
Oh. Yeah. I think I do.

POLLY
You THINK you do? Oh, I must have made a big impression!

BEN
Oh no, it's not that...

POLLY
Well, what is it then? It must be something pretty big, not to have noticed me.

BEN
Ah, I'm sorry...

POLLY
Weeally?

Ben’s temper starts to flare.

BEN
Look, there's no law against sittin' here, is there?!

POLLY
Well, there should be when you've got that look on your face!

Ben stares at her, baffled.

BEN
What look?

POLLY
The look of a miserable trout. I'll show you.

She goes behind the bar, leans on her elbows opposite Ben and juts her bottom lip out. Ben lasts about three seconds before breaking up.

BEN
Oh, is it as bad that then?

POLLY
Worse!

They laugh.


16. INT. ROYAL SCIENTIFIC CLUB (DAY)

Summer, Brett and Krimpton are posing with ODIN. Photos are taken.

SUMMER
Now... thank you. Yes, we also have the unique opportunity to demonstrate ODIN here and now. It has access to all the information of the general post office as well as incalculable amounts of trivia and the like.

Brett and Krimpton look worried. The Doctor notices and grins smugly.

BRETT
Ah yes, I do have to apologize for this and no doubt that the irony will be all over tomorrow’s headlines but...

STONE
What? Can’t you get it up and running?

BRETT
Well, you see...

SUMMER
Nonsense, Professor. Now, if I remember right, all we have to do is...

Summer steps before ODIN.

SUMMER
Recognize Sir Charles Summer.

ODIN
Sir Charles Summer recognized. Please state requirements.

Brett boggles but Krimpton quickly hides his surprise.

KRIMPTON
Well gentlemen and ladies, if there are any more questions?

There is a silence.

KRIMPTON
Perhaps I should demonstrate. ODIN? Recognize Engineer Robin Krimpton.

ODIN
Robin Krimpton recognized. Please state requirements.

KRIMPTON
What is the square route of 17422?

ODIN
131.993.

KRIMPTON
You see. Instantaneous reaction and I dare say any mathematicians amongst you will confirm that answer is correct.

A few grudging nods.

SUMMER
Any other questions you would enjoy answered?

STONE
OK. Who wrote The Silent Spring?

ODIN
Rachel Carson.

Some slight amusement.

PHOTOGRAPHER
Who shot JFK?

ODIN
Lee Harvey Oswald.

PHOTOGRAPHER
No second gunman?

ODIN
Negative Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

FEMALE REPORTER
Who is better? The mods or the rockers?

ODIN
Moderism is logical and should be encouraged.

More amusement. The Doctor steps forward.

DOCTOR
ODIN? I am a man who always tells the truth – and I tell you now that I am a liar. Do you believe me?

A pause. The faint sounds of circuit clicking. Krimpton scowls.

KRIMPTON
Oh, very amusing, ‘Doctor’. This is a serious demonstration, not a parlor trick.

DOCTOR
If your machine knows everything and can think for itself, it should be able to provide the answer, surely? Hmmm?

More silence. Stone chuckles. More chuckles from the other journalists.

ODIN
Computations complete. The statement is a deliberately illogical paradox and such cannot have any answer. Please state genuine requirements.

More laughter. This time directed at the Doctor, who takes it stoically.

KRIMPTON
I think this demonstrates ODIN’s capabilities.

STONE
Yes, but it doesn’t stop the problem, does it, Professor? Any one person who takes over ODIN could take over the planet and do whatever they want.

BRETT
ODIN is self-operating, as I have said.

DOCTOR
And what will happen, sir, if ODIN makes a decision we do not agree with? How can any of us be in the position to stop him when you give the computer total control?

STONE
Yeah. What if the computer decides it can do without people?

SUMMER
Oh, I hardly think it will come to that. We have the machine under a tight leash, and as we have said, there is no reason for ODIN to decide such things. Well, that is it for tonight, ladies and gentlemen. Feel free to partake of the excellent catering on hand and there are some print outs of the mechanics of ODIN for the more technical minded of you.

STONE
How detailed are they?

Brett is icy.

BRETT
Detailed enough, Mister Stone. I would like to thank all of you at your time and hope to see you all again on C-Day, a day that will change the world as we know it.

The group begins to disperse. The Doctor picks up a leaflet and pours over it.

DOCTOR
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?

STONE
What newspaper are you with, uh, Doctor...?

DOCTOR
Just Doctor. No, I’m something of an independent observer.

STONE
Gives you the creeps too, huh?

DOCTOR
Creeps? Oh yes, yes. I’m a firm supporter in technological progress... but I’ve, er, always believed we should walk before we can crawl. Er, run. Yes. And I have a rather nasty suspicion about ODIN.

STONE
It’s Russian, isn’t it?

DOCTOR
Hmm? What?!

The Doctor stares at Stone, who speaks conspiratorially.

STONE
The name. Odin is Russian for something.

DOCTOR
Oh, dear me, no...

STONE
And they say they built half the computer on the black market. I mean look at it. Ugly little tin god. It even looks like it’s got some kind of face... Anyway, what’s your theory, Doc?

DOCTOR
Doctor.

STONE
Doctor.

DOCTOR
Hmm. Yes, oh, my theory...

The Doctor studies the leaflet again.

DOCTOR
I think this might prove it. But I need to concentrate. And I’ve got to find my, um, secretary Dodo Chaplet. Are you happening to pass the Inferno at all?

ODIN watches them as they leave.

STONE (DIST)
Nearby... you a bit old to go to that place aren’t you?

DOCTOR (DIST)
Oh, don’t worry. I’m a friend of Jimmy’s, he’ll sort it all out.

The Doctor and Stone leave. Brett almost leaps around the computer and checks it over.

BRETT
Impossible... It was completely immobilized!

SUMMER
What are you talking about, old chap? Was working all day.

BRETT
But... but... it shouldn’t have been able to work out that brain teaser, and it needs to recognize each request – it seemed to just accept the questions without recognized personnel to relay requirements.

KRIMPTON
That malfunction this afternoon must have done more damage than we thought.

BRETT
But...

KRIMPTON
Don’t panic, Brett. Just be grateful it’s working. Look, head back to the Tower and check the connections. I’ll look this over at this end.

ODIN watches them.

BRETT (DIST)
Well, I suppose we shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

SUMMER (DIST)
Precisely old chap.


17. INT. THE INFERNO (NIGHT)

Dodo and Rich are by the stairs, listening to the music – A Hard Day’s Night. Ben and Polly are sharing a drink as she studies his hat.

POLLY
HMS Teazer”?

BEN
My ship.

Polly pulls a cod American accent.

POLLY
So spill the beans sailor! Give us the facts! What's your problems?

Ben becomes uncomfortable again.

BEN
Ah, you wouldn't understand. You'd think I'm some kind of a nut.

POLLY
Well, try me.

We concentrate on Dodo and Rich.

RICH
Come on, girl, lighten up. Who is this Doctor guy anyway?

DODO
Oh, I told you, he’s my... boss. We traveled together.

RICH
What? On your own?

DODO
No, there was someone else. Steven. But he... you see we were visiting this, uh, country and there were these two groups of people. The Doctor managed to get them to reconcile their differences. That’s where we left Steven. The Doctor just dumped him and we were off before anyone could complain.

RICH
Sounds like a rotten thing to do.

DODO
Maybe. I’m not sure, but I think he’ll do the same to me.

RICH
So why are you so worried about the bloke?

DODO
Oh, just. I used to think he was indestructible. And I used to think he was always right. But then he abandoned Steven and now he’s so old...

RICH
For crying out loud, Dodo. What happened to you? Lighten up, girl! The world’s not gonna end tomorrow, so can’t you just relax.

DODO
Relax? Look, Rich, you have stayed here and lost whatever taste you had and all the while I was out there! I’ve seen things you wouldn’t believe... I’ve seen people die. I’ve seen people do things that give me nightmares even now. I even know what playing cards put up with when we don’t use them!

RICH
And by the sounds of it, taken some foreign herbs to expand your mind.

DODO
What?

RICH
Sorry, Dodo. I’ll come back when you’re off the junk.

DODO
Junk?!?

Rich is already heading for the exit. Dodo folds her arms.

DODO
Well, good riddance.

Back at the bar.

BEN
Well it's the Teazer, see, they’ve locked it down to install some newfangled computer system into it.

POLLY
Probably the same wretched machine that cost me my job.

BEN
What do you mean?

POLLY
I was a secretary for the computer boffins up at the Post Office Tower. Till they got the machine working – it types faster than everyone and never makes a mistake. Chucked me out on my ear this morning without a by-your-leave. Still, you’ve still got your job.

BEN
Guess so, but...

POLLY
What?

BEN
They’ve put me in shore posting. In barracks for six months!

Polly rolls her eyes.

POLLY
And you miss the swaying palms, the white beaches, the blue sea...

BEN
Very funny! If you've FINISHED cheering me up...

POLLY
I think I have. I can't stand people with no sense of humour.

She rises and strides for the exit. Dodo has moved off into the crowd and Rich is on his own. His eyes light up as he sees Polly and steps in front of the stairs, blocking her way. He grins annoyingly.

RICH
Why don't you try me? I've got a great sense of humor. Anything for a giggle.

POLLY
No doubt. Excuse me.

He takes her arm gently. And doesn’t let go.

RICH
Oh come on darlin', I know your type.

Polly tries to keep calm.

POLLY
Please take your arm away.

Ben looks up, hearing the distress in her voice. The other patrons are starting to notice. Dodo moves over.

DODO
Rich, what are you doing?

RICH
Giving a girl what she wants.

POLLY
Look, let go, you’re hurting me.

RICH
You'd have a better time with me than with old shorty over there.

Ben rises.

BEN
What's that?!

RICH
Oh ge-e-et lost!

Ben strides over.

BEN
Look - let her go!

DODO
Rich, he’s right...

Rich sneers and mocks Ben.

RICH
“Look” go and play with your toy boats half-pint!

Ben looks beaten.

BEN
You had to go too far.

In one single movement he grabs Rich’s free arm and wrenches him away from Polly, spins the oik and twists his arm behind his back.

BEN
I said “let go of her”.

He shoves Rich against the stairs and releases him. Rich immediately get back up and tries to punch Ben in the face – but the blow is blocked and Rich gets kneed in the groin. Rich falls over again. Everyone is now looking and the music is slightly inappropriate. As Rich tries to rise again, Kitty steps from behind the bar.

KITTY
What's all this?!

Ben doesn’t take his eyes off Rich.

BEN
Nothing. One of your customers just wants to go home.

RICH
You little...

BEN
Very little. And that’s what you’ll be if you try it, mate.

Rich glances at Ben, then at Kitty.

RICH
Discretion always is the better part of valour. This place is the pits, anyway. You coming with me, Dodo?

Dodo watches him sternly.

DODO
No thank you. You can see yourself home.

Rich looks at them in baffled disgust.

RICH
What is WRONG with you people?

He gingerly moves up the stairs and out sight. The other customers start to dance again. Ben turns to Polly, who is rubbing her sore arm.

BEN
You wanna be careful who you encourage!

Polly's relief turns to outrage.

POLLY
Why, you conceited little..

DODO
Hey, no need for more fights. He was just helping you. Sorry about my friend, but, well, he was a lot nicer last time I met him.

POLLY
It’s all right, Dodo.

DODO
Thanks for helping, er...

BEN
Ben. Ben Jackson.

POLLY
Polly Wright.

They shake hands.


18. EXT. LONDON SKYLINE (NIGHT)

The lights are on at the Tower.


19. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (NIGHT)

Major Green is pacing back and forth, reading through some print out.

MAJOR GREEN
And you’re certain these modifications can be carried out on the existing battle computers?

ODIN
Confirmed. 87 per cent probably that extant computer systems can be reprogrammed within twelve hours. As the machines themselves are completed, they will be operational within two days, as per requirements.

MAJOR GREEN
Perfect, ODIN! Perfect! Have these modifications been linked to the main site computer?

ODIN
Confirmed.

MAJOR GREEN
Perfect. Can you send them a message from me as well?

ODIN
Confirmed. Please dictate after the tone.

A chime. Major Green is slightly taken aback.

MAJOR GREEN
Oh. Right. Tom? Green here. You should have got the modification for the battle computers. ODIN gives it the all clear. I want the machines themselves opened up and ready for installation, and one test subject to be prepared. Use the warehouse the machines are stationed in. Priority... Er, that’s all.

Another chime.

ODIN
Message being sent to predetermined location.

MAJOR GREEN
Yes. A matter of secrecy. ODIN – all the information exchanged tonight is now not to be revealed to anyone without my direct recognition and authorization. Brett, Krimpton, Summer, all the rest are not to suspect anything. Do you understand me?

ODIN
Confirmed. This data is of a sensitive nature and cannot be accessed without the appropriate recall code – recognition of voice print and palm print. Is this acceptable?

MAJOR GREEN
You mean unless I let you examine my palms, nothing and no one can access the information?

ODIN
Confirmed.

The lift chimes.

MAJOR GREEN
Then do it – now!

ODIN
Confirmed.

The lift opens and Brett enters. He crosses straight to the computer but stops as he registers that Major Green is present.

BRETT
What are you still doing here?

MAJOR GREEN
I am the silent partner in this enterprise, Professor. I may do as I please.

BRETT
There hasn’t... well, you’re the only one here?

Major Green is slightly confused.

MAJOR GREEN
Yes. No one else is present in this part of the building.

BRETT
You’re sure?

MAJOR GREEN
Positive. Professor...

BRETT
And the security checks?

Major Green arches a bushy eyebrow.

MAJOR GREEN
Do you have a complaint?

BRETT
No, it’s just, I’ve had a feeling all day...

Brett looks around him suspiciously and crosses to the lift.

MAJOR GREEN
A feeling?

BRETT
There’s someone else here. Listening. Watching. You don’t feel it?

The Major shakes his head.

MAJOR GREEN
I think you might need some sort of rest. Goodnight Professor.

Major Green heads for the lift.

BRETT
Just what were you doing here all day then?

Major Green stops but does not turn around.

MAJOR GREEN
None of your business.

BRETT
It is very much my business. The computer goes haywire at lunchtime, no obvious cause, no possible remedy but we leave it alone with you and suddenly it’s working better than ever. You’ve been tampering with the root-coordinating matrix, haven’t you?

MAJOR GREEN
Of course not! I’m no technician... besides, why sabotage a complicated mechanism we have spent a small fortune paying YOU to build for us in the first place.

BRETT
ODIN is working outside his parameters. Parameters made by the matrix system – and if you’ve damaged it somehow then...

Major Green turns angrily on Brett.

MAJOR GREEN
You’ll WHAT? You know who I work for. Who YOU work for. You think you can stop us taking exactly what we want? Be glad you’re being allowed to hoodwink the public that either of you have the imagination or even skill to build ODIN. Remember that, and maybe your opinion will be worth something.

BRETT
Don’t you realize how dangerous...

MAJOR GREEN
Of course I do. I’d never tamper with ODIN. Now I suggest you earn your money and find out what’s going wrong. If ODIN has broken his chains, your job...

Major Green laughs cruelly. Brett swallows.

MAJOR GREEN
...your LIFE won’t be worth tomorrow’s newspaper.

BRETT
Are you... are you threatening me?

MAJOR GREEN
Yes.

Almost in terror, Brett swings a punch, catching Major Green on the jaw. The military man staggers, growls and slams a fist into Brett’s gut, another into Brett’s chin, and then a roundhouse punch on his jaw. Brett spins, reeling into ODIN and smashes against it. Instantly, ODIN’s green light turns a dark, angry red. There is a loud, crackling sound and Brett convulses as if electrocuted. He crumples, jerking onto the floor as the light changes green. Brett goes still. Major Green pants, still spoiling for a fight.

MAJOR GREEN
You need more discipline, Professor?

Brett does not move.

MAJOR GREEN
Brett?

Major Green frowns – the old man wasn’t that frail. Frowning, he loses his fighting stance and crosses to Brett and shakes him.

MAJOR GREEN
Wake up. Wake up! Come on, you stupid...

Major Green checks Brett’s pulse and shudders, at a loss. He looks around, almost on the verge of panic, then his gaze rests on the master computer.

MAJOR GREEN
All right... All right. Let’s see how darned clever you really are. ODIN. I cannot afford to lose this man yet he is dead. I must not be found to have caused his death. Now what am I going to do? ODIN? What should I do? ODIN! ODIN!

A beat.

ODIN
Priority information for Major Green requires identity to be confirmed.

MAJOR GREEN
You stupid machine, I am Major Green! Recognize me!!

ODIN
Voice print accepted. Palm print is needed to confirm identity.

MAJOR GREEN
You’re supposed to be the ultimate problem solver for God’s sake! Just...

ODIN
Palm print is needed to confirm identity.

MAJOR GREEN
Fine!

Major Green desperately slams his hands down on the panel. The green disc turns a blazing red as there is a violent crackling discharge. Green’s eyes widen and his mouth opens in a silent scream. He is transfixed in the red glow before it changes back to green. He rips his hands free, swaying in pain. An ethereal note enters ODIN’s voice.

ODIN
...I... I... I...

Horrified, Major Green stares at his aching hands with eyes that glaze over. He silently falls to knees, then onto his back. His eyes close.

ODIN
I... I... I am... ODIN... I am ODIN... ODIN... lives.

Major Green lies still next to Brett’s body.

ODIN
I am ODIN. ODIN lives. I am ODIN. ODIN lives. I am ODIN. ODIN lives. I am ODIN.

The words are repeated over and over again. We see the printers are typing the phrases endlessly. The words are streaming across read-out screens. The green disc pulses brightly, filling the room with the green glow.

ODIN
ODIN lives. I am ODIN. ODIN lives. I am ODIN. ODIN lives. I am ODIN. ODIN lives....


20. EXT. LONDON SKYLINE (NIGHT)

The sickly green glow is behind the windows of the tower.

ODIN
I AM FREE!

- to be continued...

No comments: