Friday, May 25, 2007

C - Day I

Words type themselves out, one by one, building up into:


-C-DAY-

-BY
-EWEN
-CAMPION-CLARKE

Then...


-1-


1. EXT. LONDON SKYLINE (DAY)

The city of London in July of 1966. The tall Post Office Tower looms higher than all the others. The only noise is the harsh sound of the wind. Suddenly, a harsh note is heard, screaming louder and louder, becoming a loud whine. We pan down, following something invisible as it descends from the sky down to Fitzroy Square. It is a deserted area with a park surrounded by iron railings. We focus in on the pavement beside the railing as the whine becomes a familiar, wheezing groaning sound. As we watch, the TARDIS materializes.


2. EXT. FITZROY SQUARE (DAY)

As the time machine finishes appearing, a flock of birds in the trees above takes flight, adding to the din.


3. INT. THE TARDIS CONTROL ROOM

The DOCTOR is slumped in his Louis XIV chair, facing the console as the time rotor slides to a halt. He seems asleep. DODO stands by the console watching the lights extinguish.

DODO
We’ve arrived, Doctor. Doctor?

The Doctor doesn’t move. Dodo crosses over to him, concerned.

DODO
Doctor? Are you all right?

The Doctor lifts his head and, after a moment, his eyes snap open. Dodo sighs, relieved.

DODO
Doctor... you worry me sometimes.

The Doctor blinks one or twice, as if trying to wake up.

DOCTOR
Susan?

DODO
Dodo.

DOCTOR
Ah, yes, of course my child. I apologize. Yes, she left. Susan left. But you remind me of her so much. Yes, Steven and Dodo. How could I forget that?

Dodo speaks gently.

DODO
Steven’s gone too.

DOCTOR
What? Oh yes. Yes, Steven was always the sensible one.

Sighing in what might be disappointment, the Doctor gets off the chair and sways unsteadily before gripping the console tightly. Dodo watches worriedly as he seems to struggle to control his breathing.

DODO
Doctor, what is it?

The Doctor stares into the time rotor, expression grave. He’s scared.

DOCTOR
It’s coming closer, nearer. I can feel it. I’ve known since we met the Toymaker, but now, now I can feel it. Those Elders boiling me was the last straw. Time... is almost up.

Dodo tries to sound reassuring.

DODO
Don’t talk like that, Doctor. You’re not going to... well...

The Doctor laughs, his old self again.

DOCTOR
Of course not! Not today – and certainly not until I have seen where we are.

He reaches out with vitality and snaps down a switch. The scanner shows the street outside.

DOCTOR
Ah... perfect! Fantastic, even, yes.

DODO
Hey... that’s...

DOCTOR
Mm-hmm. The Earth, and the twentieth century – just where I was aiming for. Well, I suppose you can guess the rest of where you are, my dear?

DODO
It’s London. Home...

DOCTOR
Precisely, child, precisely.

DODO
We’re back... aren’t we? Really?

The Doctor beams at her and presses the door switch.

DOCTOR
See for yourself, my dear.

The doors buzz open to show the street outside. Slightly overawed, Dodo approaches the door timidly as the Doctor picks up his thick black cloak off the back of the chair and slips it round his shoulders.


4. EXT. FITZROY SQUARE (DAY)

Dodo steps out of the TARDIS, blinking in the afternoon sunshine. The Doctor emerges behind her, struggling to fasten his cloak. She looks around, unable to believe it. The Doctor fumbles in his pocket and takes out a white card from his pocket. He pulls the TARDIS door closed and hangs the card from the handle like a sign.

DODO
It’s Fitzroy Square. Amazing. It’s been ages since I was here.

DOCTOR
“Ages”? Hmph! You won’t use that term quite so freely when you see the “ages” that I have. And besides, I’m sure it hasn’t been that long.

DODO
Depends when we are, doesn’t it, Doctor?

DOCTOR
Well, it’s certainly near your time, isn’t it?

The Doctor moves away from the TARDIS, frowning and losing his good humor.

DOCTOR
Yes. Was that there the last time you were here, hmm, Dodo?

He points accusingly up at the sky above them. Dodo follows his gaze.

DODO
Well... yes. It’s the tower.

DOCTOR
Tower?

DODO
The Post Office Tower.

DOCTOR
Post Office. Hm. Looks like ah, a half-chewed... sweet cigarette. Made out of glass and steel.

DODO
It doesn’t look that bad.

DOCTOR
Hah. Who designed that, anyway?

DODO
I don’t know. Committee, I suppose. It wasn’t quite finished when I left.

DOCTOR
But it is now. Newly-finished, as well... Interesting, isn’t it?

DODO
What is?

DOCTOR
We’ve landed right in the shadow of that tower. As if...

DODO
As if what?

DOCTOR
There’s something else here. I can scent it.

Dodo inhales cautiously.

DODO
Smells all right to me.

DOCTOR
Does it?

DODO
Good old London smoke. Steven would have liked it here.

DOCTOR
I doubt it, my dear. To him, this would have been prehistoric squallor. Dear-dear, after all we go through, you still have no sense of perspective.

DODO
I do so! I’m not the one that hung that sign on the TARDIS.

She points at it.

DODO
“Police Recruitment Week”?

DOCTOR
The last few times I visited the twentieth century, the TARDIS tends to be mistaken for a real police box. That sign will stop anyone being too curious.

DODO
What? Like me?

DOCTOR
Ahem. Quite. People will think the TARDIS is just a, a sort of display box, not a real telephone. We don’t need Scotland Yard trying to break in...

DODO
And getting whisked off into time and space?

DOCTOR
Yes. As you say.

The Doctor’s attention wanders back to the tower.

DODO
One problem, though, Doctor.

DOCTOR
Hmmm?

DODO
It says “Police Recruitment Week 1973”. Not 1966.

DOCTOR
Does it? Well, er, I’m sure we won’t be staying long before anyone comes to check that sign. My skin...

He scratches at his wrists. Dodo notices.

DOCTOR
Nothing, nothing, no, Dodo. Nothing. Now, we have to tell the world you’re back. To them you’ve been away for, oh, who knows? I must find a newspaper.

They begin to walk down the street.

DODO
My aunt Margaret – well, my great aunt... She won’t even know I’ve gone. Besides - I’m not staying here. You’re not leaving me behind.

DOCTOR
What?

The Doctor whirls and looks at her.

DOCTOR
This could be your last chance ever to return home, child. I advise you – do not waste it. Others made that mistake. Myself included.

DODO
But I want to stay with you.

DOCTOR
Do you?

DODO
Yes! Having adventures, travelling through history and other dimensions... I’d have to be daft to want to give that up. Wouldn’t I?

The Doctor tuts disapprovingly, and avoids her gaze.

DOCTOR
Come along, let’s see if we can’t find a newspaper.

He strides off, forcing Dodo to have to skip to keep up with him.


5. EXT. LONDON SKYLINE (DAY)

We zoom in on that very same half-chewed metal and glass sweet.


6. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (DAY)

This laboratory takes up the top floor of the tower. The curved walls are more like windows, showing the city below and clear blue sky. A domed sub section to one side contains a lift. Neatly arranged around the chamber are computer banks – flashing lights, spinning spools of tape, several circular screens showing ever-changing symbols. On a slightly raised level is a trapezoidal computer bank with a pleasant green circular disc in the centre. Below it is several printers and a keyboard of controls. The disc is surrounded by a stylized O, which repeated at several points throughout the chamber. There is a gentle whirring, dynamo noise.

PROFESSOR BRETT is busy adjusting a minor console. A plump, friendly careworn man in his late forties, he wears a bedraggled tuxedo under a white lab coat. A smaller, less pleasant man enters from the lift. This is KRIMPTON. He wears spectacles, has a small beard and is far too smug to be healthy. He is a lot calmer than Brett, who is worried and looking around him, as if seeing something out of the corner of his eye.

KRIMPTON
If we don’t leave now, Brett, we’re going to be late. Just in case you forgot the last three times I told you.

Brett ignores him, moving to another console.

BRETT
Where have you been? I sent four messages for you?

KRIMPTON
Phone lines are playing up, old boy. What’s the problem?

BRETT
ODIN’s systems have shut down.

Krimpton looks around, incredulous.

KRIMPTON
But it’s all functioning normally. Even the fault location systems.

He crosses to the main ODIN computer and studies the displays.

KRIMPTON
It’s all active, all functioning...

BRETT
But not doing a thing, Krimpton. Happened ten minutes ago, some kind of... electromagnetic pulse. The computers are running, but no longer working. It’s like it’s gone on strike or something.

Krimpton presses the green dome.

KRIMPTON
Recognize Engineer Robin Krimpton.

There is a chime.

KRIMPTON
Well? Indicate any malfunction.

BRETT
Nothing. You see?

KRIMPTON
Use print out if voice intregator is not functioning.

Nothing is printed.

BRETT
You think I hadn’t thought of that?

Krimpton ignores him.

KRIMPTON
Recognize command!

Nothing.

BRETT
It had to happen today. The conference will be a lynch mob if they find out the Dawn of Knowledge broke down before we even meet the press!

Krimpton gnaws on a thumb nail.

KRIMPTON
We can bluff them. But only if we head to the conference and get there on time. If we’re late, they’ll suspect a problem.

BRETT
How can we get the receptor bank at the club to work if ODIN is out of order?

KRIMPTON
Teething troubles. We blame the wire connections – they’re playing havoc today. There was always a chance we couldn’t achieve interface between them.

Brett whirls and snaps.

BRETT
There wasn’t a chance about a major breakdown like this, was there?!

Krimpton glares at him.

KRIMPTON
If you want to get through the conference alive and with your academic career intact, you better calm down, Brett. There’s no mechanical fault. The power’s on, the connections are secure... ODIN is active as ever. Probably a minor loose connection...

BRETT
It can’t be...

KRIMPTON
WHICH we can fix later! Now come on!

He reaches out and grabs Brett’s arm. Brett, who was studying a screen, jumps and nearly yelps in fear. Krimpton is startled.

KRIMPTON
Good heavens, what’s the matter with you today?

BRETT
I don’t know. It’s like... well...

Krimpton folds his arms, impatient.

KRIMPTON
What?

BRETT
Like there’s someone else here. In here with us.

Krimpton looks around. They’re alone.

KRIMPTON
There’s no one else. Half the tower’s empty until C-Day, and no one but us is allowed up to this level of the building anyway.

BRETT
But... don’t you feel it?

KRIMPTON
Feel what?!

BRETT
That someone’s watching us.

The green disc continues to glow brightly. We see a blurry, fish-eye distorted view of the two scientists, from the point of view of ODIN.

KRIMPTON (DIST)
Don’t be stupid, Brett. This place has been screened before we even installed ODIN...

BRETT (DIST)
But I’ve had this horrible feeling...

KRIMPTON
You’ll get a lot worse of a feeling if we don’t leave now.

They turn and head towards the lift, ducked through an archway to reach it. The door slides open and a tall, stern-looking man with a thick moustache and a neat blue suit emerges, holding a manila folder. This is MAJOR GREEN.

MAJOR GREEN
Ah, Professor Brett. Mr Krimpton. I’m so glad I managed to catch you.

Krimpton and Brett pale at his presence.

KRIMPTON
Oh dear.


7. EXT. STREET CORNER (DAY)

Dodo is in a phone box talking. The Doctor is pacing back and forth outside, reading a newspaper. He tuts loudly.

DOCTOR
“The Dawn of Knowledge to begin on July 16”... Most disturbing. This shouldn’t be happening. I’d have remembered this. Well, most likely I would have. No, no, there is something alien about this.

He glances back at Dodo in the box and tuts again, folding the newspaper and shoving it in his pocket.

DOCTOR
I really must investigate this.

Dodo hangs up and exits the phone box.

DOCTOR
Ah, Dodo my dear, did you contact your aunt?

DODO
Great aunt.

DOCTOR
Yes, yes. Did you?

DODO
She wasn’t answering the phone. I rang Rich instead.

DOCTOR
Hmm? ‘Rich’?

DODO
Richard Palis. My friend from school.

DOCTOR
Oh, and what did you tell him?

DODO
I got a job as a secretary to a scientist who went overseas. Close enough, isn’t it?

DOCTOR
‘Secretary’ indeed. With your typing? Even my handwriting is better than that! Hahah. So, are you going to visit your friend ‘Rich’?

DODO
He wants to meet me at some ‘Infernal’ club.

DOCTOR
‘Infernal’?

DODO
A sort of discotheque... in Long Acre.

DOCTOR
Ah, yes. The Inferno.

Dodo laughs. The Doctor refuses to rise to it.

DODO
YOU know about it?

DOCTOR
I know about all sorts of things, my dear. The Inferno is, er, the ‘hottest night spot in town’. For an infernal place, it’s apparently quite heavenly. Yes, I think a trip there would do you all the good in the world. To be among people your own age.

DODO
All right. But I’m not a member.

DOCTOR
Oh, my dear child, this is the 1960s and you know Rich. Just tell the door people that Jimmy said you could come.

DODO
Who’s Jimmy?

DOCTOR
Oh, how should I know, child? There’s ALWAYS a Jimmy at these sort of revelries.

DODO
And are you coming too?

DOCTOR
Oh, possibly, possibly, when er, it warms up, so to speak.

DODO
And where will you be in the mean time?

DOCTOR
If, my child, you had bothered to read this paper you could hazard a guess yourself. There’s a press conference on in a few hours at the Royal Scientific Club dealing with the creation of an artificial intelligence. A thinking computer!

DODO
See? Not as prehistoric as you said.

DOCTOR
No. But it does concern me. If this computer does half of what the newspapers claim, then, well... I fear it is ahead of its time. Quite literally.

DODO
You mean it’s from the future?

DOCTOR
I don’t know at this precise moment, child, which is why I’m going to investigate personally. Now, once the conference is over, I’ll meet you at the Inferno.

Dodo looks at him suspiciously. She holds out her hand.

DODO
All right then. Give me the key.

DOCTOR
Give you what?

DODO
The TARDIS key. That way I can be sure you won’t run off and leave me.

DOCTOR
Oh, Dodo, I wouldn’t do that to you.

DODO
Then what about all that talk in the TARDIS...?

DOCTOR
You mustn’t take that to heart.

DODO
Mustn’t I? Give me the key.

The Doctor scowls and pretends to examine a street poster. He mutters to himself, but Dodo can still hear him.

DOCTOR
After Steven left, she should have the kindness to leave too...

DODO
Why should I?

The Doctor glares over his shoulder at her.

DODO
I can’t leave you alone.

The Doctor concentrates on the poster again.

DOCTOR
Oh, but you must, child! Some things we MUST face alone!

DODO
No, you need my help.

DOCTOR
I most certainly do not! The TARDIS is the only help I need.

So saying he snatches a key from his pocket and thrusts it in her hand.

DOCTOR
There? Hmm? Satisfied? You believe I’d abandon you without saying goodbye, Dodo, then I–I wonder what if anything you have learned from our travels. I’ll see you at the Inferno, when you’re better tempered.

He starts to stalk off.

DODO
So, just where IS this science club?

The Doctor pauses and sheepishly checks the newspaper.

DOCTOR
Ah. Yes. Well...

Smiling forgivingly, Dodo rejoins him. The Doctor gives out an exasperated sigh.

DOCTOR
All right. You can help.

She laughs and rests her head on his shoulder as she takes the newspaper.


8. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (DAY)

Krimpton is talking sternly to Major Green while Brett fidgets with a control panel to no obvious avail.

KRIMPTON
...and we are already running late. We have to go now.

MAJOR GREEN
I came to discuss payment, Mister Krimpton.

Brett looks up, surprised.

BRETT
Payment?

KRIMPTON
Just get in the lift Brett. I’ll discuss things with the Major and be right behind you.

BRETT
Krimpton...

KRIMPTON
Just do it, Brett!

Brett checks his display again, sighs in despair and then hurries for the lift.

MAJOR GREEN
Perhaps I should deal with Brett directly. ODIN is HIS life’s work after all...

KRIMPTON
The man’s a computing genius but a useless businessman.

MAJOR GREEN
We’ve given you all the funding, the equipment, and everything you could possibly need to construct that glorified transistorized abacus. Now we want payment.

KRIMPTON
You’ll get it. Later. Or didn’t you notice that the press conference on C-Day has started? Now get out of my way. You can tell ODIN what you want. If it thinks you’re worth talking to, you might get a reply!

MAJOR GREEN
Oh, so it HAS broken down?

Krimpton storms off after Brett towards the lift. Major Green watches them go. He flicks through the contents of the manila folder and crosses to Odin. It sees him through the green disc on the front of the computer.

MAJOR GREEN
ODIN. Recognize Major Green.

A clear, inhuman but not unfriendly voice booms from the computer. It whirrs louder as it speaks and drops to its normal volume when it stops, and a slight chime.

ODIN
Major Green recognized. Please state requirements.

Green frowns, glances over his shoulder at the lift.

MAJOR GREEN
Well, well, well.

He concentrates on the computer once more.

MAJOR GREEN
I have a little job for you, ODIN.

He opens the manila folder and takes out several magnetic cards.

- to be continued...

No comments: