Friday, May 25, 2007

C - Day VI

23. EXT. OUTSIDE THE WAREHOUSE (NIGHT)

The tramp is slumped against a wall, panting and looking ill. Dodo and Rich are crouching over him, and Dodo at least, is worried about the tramp.

DODO
But why did you run out?

TRAMP
I told you, Dodo, love, they’re the living dead in there! They’re just building machines, not even seeing what’s happening. Their eyes... it’s not them looking back at you!

RICH
Oh, he’s just drunk!

TRAMP
I haven’t touched a drop!

RICH
We know what you colonials are like, Aussie. Drunken louts the lot of you.

DODO
Oh, shut up, Rich! You’re exactly a man of action yourself, are you?

Dodo softens her tone and speaks again to the Tramp.

DODO
It’s all right. Look, you’ve just got confused about something. You said you were asleep. Maybe you were having a nightmare. I’ll check it out, eh?

TRAMP
I wasn’t dreaming! Look, please, girl, don’t go on there.

RICH
A group of scrap metal workers aren’t going to frighten us.

DODO
If that’s they ARE just scrap metal workers.

RICH
Course they are. I saw them turn up a couple of hours ago, unloading all these boxes. Probably trying to finish it all before they go on strike. Unionists, the lot of them.

Dodo glares at him.

DODO
Were you always such a bigot or is it some kind of professional hobby?

RICH
Hey, Dorothea – you used to be fun.

DODO
No, YOU were just easily amused.

She strides over to the doorway.

RICH
Hey, eh, eh, where are you going?

DODO
Inside. If nothing else, those people deserve to apologize for scaring poor Robert out of his wits. And if something else is going on, well, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Are you coming?

Rich looks at her stonily, then smiles.

RICH
Try and stop me.

TRAMP
No, please...

DODO
We’ll be all right, Robert. First sign of trouble, we’ll be straight out.

RICH
Same old Dodo – going where angels fear to tread.

The tramp finally finds the strength to get to his feet.

TRAMP
You’ll be as dead as a dodo if you go in there! Please, just... believe me! THEY’RE EVIL!

DODO
They didn’t hurt you, did they? So they won’t hurt us. Come on Rich.

Dodo pushes open the door and steps through. Sound of manufacture emerge. Rich sneers at the tramp, who backs away, shaking his head. At the far end of the street stands Major Green. There are bruises on both his cheeks. He stares ahead, eyes burning.


24. INT. WAREHOUSE (NIGHT)

Dodo and Rich emerge from the entrance area to see the technicians carrying out empty crates, while others are carrying in new crates. All are silent. Tom emerges from the sunken pit via some steps. Wallis is putting the final touches on the electronic brain. It flashes and burbles repeatedly.

DODO
Like he said. They’re in a trance.

Dodo waves a hand before the eyes of Wallis. He does not react. Rich turns around and is startled – Tom is right behind him, staring into his eyes. Rich gets out of the way and Tom crosses over to Wallis and removes a lead.

RICH
They can see us, all right... They just don’t... care!

They peer into the pit. White coated technicians are silently working on a heap of electronic components.

RICH
What are they building, anyway?

DODO
I don’t know, but...

Green steps inside the warehouse. Dodo and Rich do not see him.

DODO
...it’s like some kind of mini tank.

RICH
Why would they build tanks in Covent Garden of all places?

DODO
Maybe because they wanted to do it in secret.

RICH
Eh?

DODO
Well, if you were looking for tanks being built, would you think of looking in Covent Garden for them?

RICH
Guess so. Wait, why would I be looking for tanks being built in the first place?

MAJOR GREEN
Cease work! Stand by!

Dodo and Rich whirl around as they hear the voice. The workers abandon their work.

MAJOR GREEN
Those strangers are a threat. Apprehend them.

More workers emerge from the pit.

DODO
Plan A. Run!

They race past Green, who watches them unconcerned.

MAJOR GREEN
Cover the door. They must not escape.

More workers behind Green stand before the doors. In the confusion, Dodo struggles to get past. A key rattles onto the floor. Rich grabs Dodo and pulls her free.

RICH
Leave her alone!

More stony-faced workers are encircling them.

MAJOR GREEN
You are interfering with our work here. Nothing must be allowed to stop us.

Dodo licks her lips, thinking fast.

DODO
We don’t... want to stop you. You just carry on. We didn’t mean to interfere. Did we?

Rich shakes his head eagerly.

RICH
Hell no.

DODO
You see? Let’s leave you to it, eh?

RICH
We’re just passing.

Major Green stares at them for a long moment. Rich swallows, pale.

RICH
The drunk was right. He’s the living dead.

Dodo smiles, hissing through gritted teeth.

DODO
Shut up, Richard, shut up.

Another pause.

MAJOR GREEN
Very well.

He crosses over to the phone and dials a number. Dodo and Rich exchange baffled looks.

MAJOR GREEN
You will first have to give an account of yourselves to our... employer. Satisfy him and we shall allow you leave. Unharmed.

He hands them the receiver. Rich takes it, relieved.

RICH
Sure thing. Very English. Talk things through, like civilized folks. I can explain everything to your boss. Is he on the line? He is? Oh all right?

He puts the phone to his ear. A look of confusion crosses his face and he mouths a silent scream. Dodo realizes what’s happening.

DODO
NO! RICH!

She doesn’t make a step forward before the workers beside her grab her arms.

MAJOR GREEN
She will be the next for processing.

Major Green takes the phone from Rich, who is relaxing. He advances on Dodo, holding out the receiver. Dodo squirms, moving her head away from it as far as she can.

DODO
No! LEAVE ME ALONE!


25. EXT. OUTSIDE THE WAREHOUSE (NIGHT)

The tramp is cowering in a corner, covering his ears with his hands.

DODO (VO)
DOCTOR!! DOCT--

Sudden silence. The tramp shakes his head and crawls deeper into the shadows.


26. INT. POLLY’S FLAT (NIGHT)

Spartan and white with lots of groovy art deco stuff. The coffee table is a triangular plate of glass supported by wooden arches. The couch is semi circular. There are multi-coloured lamps providing light. A small television sits in an armoire. The Doctor is sitting on a bean bag, which is next to the phone. Ben is wandering around, noticing several framed portraits – most of them are of Polly in outlandish clothes.

DOCTOR
...my dear Barbara, of course she will be all right. Troilus and Cressida, hmmm? Oh, of course she knew what she was doing. She’ll be quite all right. I dare say she’s probably just become her own ancestor. Hahah. Well! You tell Ian I heard him say that. Oh did he? Well, two years out, it explains many discrepancies. I mean, you were two years older than when you left. You wouldn’t want to be out of synch, would you? Oh. Well, Miss Wright, I never expected to hear you use that sort of language. Oh. Miss Chesterton, is it? Well, I’ll have you know I’m known as Doctor Jimmy Savile down at the Inferno. Stop giggling, woman! And you too, “Mr” Chesterton!

The Doctor puts his hand over the receiver and turns to Ben.

DOCTOR
Good grief, they’re both getting hysterical.

He turns back to the phone.

DOCTOR
Yes, yes, yes, very witty and amusing. As it is getting rather late, I’ll let you two get some rest and we can meet up later, perhaps, have that goodbye drink your, ah, husband kept promising me for two years... Yes, yes, ha, ha, squawk like buzzards all you like. Obviously, without my influence you two have become decidedly immature. ... STOP LAUGHING! Take a breath before you pass out, for heaven’s sake. Look, I’ll see you the day after tomorrow. I parked the TARDIS against a railing in Fitzroy Square. No, no, it’s not supposed to be a work of art. Of course I put there deliberately! I have ABSOLUTE control over that machine.

He sighs and pulls the receiver from his ear. We can faintly hear uncontrollable laughter.

DOCTOR
I’ll see you both tomorrow, then, shall I? Goodnight to you.

The laughter fades. The Doctor listens and smiles.

DOCTOR
Yes, yes, I’m not going anywhere, I’ll meet you then. Goodnight.

He chuckles and puts down the phone.

DOCTOR
Silly old fuss pots. I am looking forward to seeing them again.

Polly enters, flipping through a file-o-fax.

POLLY
Finally! I’ve got the number for you, Doctor.

DOCTOR
Oh, thank you so much, my dear.

POLLY
I can never find anything when I want it.

As she hands the book to the Doctor, Ben nudges her with his elbow.

BEN
Ey, Duchess, why are you in all the pictures?

POLLY
Don’t call me Duchess.

BEN
What should I call you then? Supermodel?

POLLY
Oh, not a chance. I tried it once, I didn’t like it.

BEN
What? You modeled for all these?

POLLY
I did.

Behind them, the Doctor taps the phone irritably.

BEN
But you said you were a secretary?

POLLY
I am. Well, I was, a private secretary. Much better job than modeling. I hated every minute. It was just irksome...

BEN
“Irksome”?

POLLY
Yes, irksome.

BEN
What, to your feet, you mean?

POLLY
And my intelligence. They wanted bodies, not people. Before that, I was travel courier. I got enough cash to buy the flat. What about your career highlights?

BEN
Why’d you want to know?

POLLY
Well, I’m letting you into my flat. A bit of information about you would be nice?

BEN
Not much to tell. I was sea school when I was fifteen.

POLLY
And you’ve been in it ever since?

BEN
Right.

POLLY
So I guess in a true, Navy fashion you can turn your hand to almost anything?

Ben starts to prickle at her mocking tone.

BEN
I ain’t got any complaints.

Polly smiles brightly.

POLLY
Good, then you’ll know your way round a kitchen. Make us a cuppa, would you?

BEN
Hey, I’m a guest here!

POLLY
So you are. But the kettle’s faulty, and someone with your interest in electrics should be able to get it working.

Ben scowls.

BEN
Any other things needed? Buttons sewed on?

POLLY
Well, I think I’ll keep you, I’m useless at this sort of stuff.

BEN
It shows, Duchess.

POLLY
Do you like the photos though?

Ben considers his response.

BEN
Makes a change from all that World Cup perlaver.

The Doctor puts the phone down, scowling.

DOCTOR
The phone’s engaged! I’ve tried six times! Irritating! Most irritating! This is going to require a different course of action.

He calmly dials a new number.


27. INT. HOTEL ROOM (NIGHT)

A rather dingy little room mostly taken up by a bed. On this lies ROY STONE. He wears a pair of thick spectacles, and is flipping through a notepad. A stub of a long-dead cigarette hangs from the side of his mouth. His tie is loose and there are several empty bottles on the bedside table. A telephone rings. Mildly surprised, he picks the receiver up, tugging the spent cigarette from his mouth.

STONE
Roy Stone?

DOCTOR (VO)
Ah! Mr. Stone, it’s the Doctor.

STONE
Oh, er, hi.


28. INT. POLLY’S FLAT/HOTEL ROOM (NIGHT)

Diagonal split screen between the two places.

DOCTOR
I do trust I’m not keeping you up late.

STONE
Don’t worry. Jet lag can have its uses. What can I do for you, Doctor?

DOCTOR
Well, I was trying to get in contact with Professor Brett...

STONE
You too huh? I been trying all day. The GPO Tower’s not taking any calls. Ironic, huh?

DOCTOR
Yes, indeed. Quite. It’s just I’ve come to some, well, some conclusion about ODIN.

STONE
Go on.

DOCTOR
Yes. That name, Odin, it isn’t Russian, Mr. Stone. It’s Norse mythology.

STONE
You mean like, uh, Wagner’s Ring Cycle?

DOCTOR
Yes. Yes, Odin is in that. He’s called Wotan in that.

STONE
“Vowtargn?”

DOCTOR
Yes. Spelt differently, it’s actually W-O-T-A...

Shaking his head, Stone pulls the glasses from his nose.

STONE
No, no, wait. You’re telling me they build that computer and named it after Wagner? They’ve let a damn Nazi build this thing?

DOCTOR
My dear Mr. Stone. A love of classical music doesn’t make someone a Nazi.

STONE
Well, why tell me then? That’d be a scoop.

DOCTOR
Yes, it would, but I have a different one.

STONE
Better than being Nazis?

DOCTOR
I’ll let you judge.

STONE
Well, what is it then?

A beat.

STONE
Doctor? Doctor?

DOCTOR
Hmm? Oh, Mr. Stone. I’m sorry, I thought I was cut off there for a second. No, you see, I’ve read the information package about ODIN quite thoroughly and there is a large gap where the section on how the scientists actually THOUGHT up the machine in the first place. No theories, no logical progression of existing patterns. As if given inspiration by the Gods themselves. Intriguing, don’t you think?

STONE
You’re saying they didn’t build it?

DOCTOR
I’m saying they didn’t design it. They are being used by some third party to construct ODIN and show off to the world. Hiding in plain sight, rather clever really.

STONE
If ODIN breaks down or blows up or anything, Brett and Krimpton will get the blame, and their backers will stay safe.

DOCTOR
And if it doesn’t, the backers will no doubt have unrestricted use of the machine.

STONE
They could take over the world.


29. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (NIGHT)

Brett and Krimpton have constructed a computer like the ones Tom and Wallis were working on. Two workers are wheeling crates out of the lift. The voices of the Doctor and Stone are heard over the speakers as ODIN computes softly.

DOCTOR (VO)
Really, Mr. Stone. Yes, if that is there intention, it makes sense that they will use ODIN to do so. Now, you’ve got far more legal and professional clout than an old man like me. Sir Charles Summer might not be, er, in on the deal. But he might be. If you can interview him on the subject...

STONE (VO)
Then I’d look a damn fool. What if they just forgot to print the bit with their theories in the pack?

DOCTOR (VO)
Then you still have a story, hmm? The most advanced computer in the world makes elementary mistake, causing lots of gossip and paranoia. What better headlines?


30. INT. HOTEL ROOM (NIGHT)

As before. Stone leans back in bed.

STONE
Yeah, I’ve been in the papers for a while, Doctor. What do you want out of it?

DOCTOR (VO)
Hmm?

STONE
Money? I don’t get paid well enough to pay sources...

DOCTOR (VO)
My dear fellow, I would just like to be kept in the picture. I’ve shared information with you, perhaps after you interview Summer, you could have done the same for me, yes?

STONE
Guess so. Conditional on me actually getting any info out of him.

DOCTOR (VO)
Oh I have great faith in the New York Sketch’s finest... finest.

STONE
Yeah, right. Once this story is done, I’ve got a missing persons story at Gatwick...

DOCTOR (VO)
Yes, fascinating, I’m sure. Now, I’ll just give you the number here... Polly? What is it?


31. INT. THE VALHALLA SECTION (NIGHT)

Tape spools spin faster.

ODIN
Recognize: Rory Stone. Journalist for The New York Sketch in Britain on business. Threat status: nil. The Doctor is confirmed as hostile. He will be detained at once. Should he resist he will be eradicated. Do you understand?


32. EXT. STREET (NIGHT)

Kitty is standing in a red phone box, listening to the phone.

KITTY
I understand.

She hangs up and strides over to Polly’s flat.

- to be continued...

No comments: